Changing Water Pump on 95 Neon

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My buddies 2.0 sohc '95 neon jumped time on him, so I'm replacing his belt and tensioner for him. I'm also going to change the water pump while i'm in there. Is there any way to remove the water pump WITHOUT removing the cam gear? If not, how do I remove the cam gear and replace it without screwing up time? Just mark the cam and gear?

Yeah to get the plastic cover off you have to remove the cam pulley. It is keyed so you don't need to worry about marking it to the cam. The other option is to break the plastic cover so you can access the waterpump. I guess it just depends on how "good" of a friend he is lol!

..........There is marks there already that u need to keep in time........there will b a keyway on the shaft......kim.....too slow to day

I didn't know. That's what I figured. I watched a video where a guy was saying you had to do a bunch of stuff to correct the timing after you remove the cam sprocket. So that's not true I take it?

To the OP. I think that engine is an interference engine meaning that if the belt breaks or jumps timing i.e valves and pistons go kiss kiss..... You may end up having to pull the head. Just thought I'd throw that in, if I am wrong someone correct me.

It is indeed an interference engine. I'm just hoping for the best. It may have not jumped enough to where the piston and valves are making love yet. Hopefully they're only flirting right now.

When putting the gear back on it's a keyway, but just make sure all ya timing marks are lined up according to the factory manual. When putting on belt make you put the belt on where you don't miss a "tooth" on the belt or ya timing will be off. Been there plenty times. You may have to slightly turn the cam gear when installing belt to get the "loose" side where the tensioner is for proper tension.

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it. I found out that removing the cam sprocket is not needed to change the water pump on a 95 neon 2.0 sohc. The rear timing cover is in two peices, top and bottom. All you need to do is remove the bottom cover.

i work in dodge dealer as a tech. for years,till 2007,the rear cover is one piece,remove cam gear,not hard has key way,two 8mm bolts for cover behind gear,remove belt tentioner assbly,check could cause belt to jump,there will be 3 more 8mm bolts for cover. also with r/s fender motor mount out,you jack engine up & down to get to bolts & brackets

Beats me. I'm all done and she's a runnin. The rear timing cover was clearly made by the factory as 2 pieces that interlock, split just below the cam sprocket. Might have just been a '95 thing. Beats me. The belt was shredded but not broken, and the tensioner pulley had completely fallen apart. He's lucky it only jumped time 2-3 "teeth".

Beats me. I'm all done and she's a runnin. The rear timing cover was clearly made by the factory as 2 pieces that interlock, split just below the cam sprocket. Might have just been a '95 thing. Beats me. The belt was shredded but not broken, and the tensioner pulley had completely fallen apart. He's lucky it only jumped time 2-3 "teeth".
recheck my notes,95 was 2 pieses

-
Back