Charcoal Can Fans, should I?

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1973 Duster that is restored to pretty much stock. It does have an LD340, aluminum radiator, flip top gas cap retrofit, and a new A/C system so those are the things that appear non-stock. I have been wanting to paint the radiator black to make it look more stock.

The stock thing is just for appearance but I was looking at a Wanted thread about a charcoal canister. I have one that never got re-installed. I don't even know if the tank is vented or non-vented. Can anyone clarify on what cars got them? My car was a California car. I don't remember the exact routing of the fuel lines right now. The gas cap is a retrofitted flip top so I don't think it vents.

I'm not over the top about the car appearing 100% stock so I'm not dying to put the canister on it, however, I will crawl under the car to see if the tank is vented. I got the car after the paint was done, tank installed and drivetrain installed. If the tank is vented then I may as well clean the canister up and put it on if it doesn't rob any performance. The only upgrades performance wise are the LD340 intake and a single pattern 224 @ .050 cam.

Thanks

IIRC.......'70 and older have a vented fuel neck, and nothing on the tank. '71 has the ECS system with multiple lines coming off the tank and the expansion chamber in the trunk (I believe 70 california cars had this as well). Neither of these had a charcoal canister. In '72, they had a vent line coming from the tank terminating at a charcoal canister that has a provision for distributor vacuum. After '72, same tank config with one vent line terminating at the charcoal canister (No distributor vacuum connection on canister).

Use the tank vent nipple if there is one for a fuel return using this filter.

100_0101 (2).JPG

You can look to see if there's an "N95" code on your fender tag, which would indicate the emissions package. But as a '73 I can just about guarantee your car had a charcoal canister.

When hooked up and working properly they do help reduce the fuel smell you get when parking them indoors.

I believe all the charcoal can cars 72 and later had the vent line running up the right frame rail. Short section of rubber hose into the canister.

I always liked the folks that turned them into "cool cans" - fill with ice when you go to the track to keep the gas cooler. A coil of 3/8 line inside a hollowed out one, a little fab work and it's nearly invisible.

Thanks for the tip @Oldmanmopar . If I want to keep a cleaner look (charcoal can delete) I should use this filter, I take it.

@72bluNblu I’ll look for the code. Thanks.

When I got the car it was a painted shell with the drivetrain just sitting in place. Tons of parts from the disassembly in boxes. It was like a model car that was missing prices and many parts that were there needed to be replaced or restored. It did come with a charcoal can. The tank is a reproduction so I’ll have to take a look when I get home. The filler tube is fold down backseat specific and I’m pretty sure there is not a vent line.

D89B0908-37D7-4ACC-99F0-A4E1E6003A47.jpeg

Does this component tie into the mix?

The emissions systems are reviewed in the Master Tech Conference.
Scroll down here to the year of interest and see what was new, and hten checkthe year before as well.
If looking at the html is a pain, go over to www.mymopar.com and get it in pdf or youtube format.
View attachment 1716027535

Does this component tie into the mix?

No. Its part of the OSAC.
Basically a delay on vacuum spark advance to reduce NOx with increasing speed. Also incredibly annoying from a drivers point of view/
Cleaner Air System Highlights, p.11, 1973 Chrysler Master Technician's Service Conference Book 1
Chrysler dedicated a whole Master Tech Session to 'Drivability and Emissions' and another to "Getting 'em started" (not OSAC related)
Here's the page with OSAC, and the next page has the understatement about a driver may notice decrease in acceleration and more throttle is needed. I'll tell you from at least the perspective of a slant six owner, it was quite noticible and annoying.
1973 MTSC Book 7, Exhaust Emissions and Drivability

Last edited:
Don’t trust anyone who says a charcoal canister robs performance.

-
Back