Charger Heater Control question

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First I apologize for this not being an A body, but an LX charger 09'.
I have posted on the charger forum, with little help.
FABO is the smart guys that help if you ask me..

Cut to point. I am putting an Ipad in my chargers dash, heater controls are in the way. Rather then relocate (others have relocated the controls to the console glove box..tacky imo), I’m trying to get rid of them and have the Ipad control the heater.
I have bought and am messing with a device called "arduino", essentially a programmable microcontroller of which the Ipad can control.

I am after a program running on the Ipad that is point and click interactive for the heater control.

That being said. I am hitting a wall. I don't know the freaking signals being output by the stock heater controls of the charger. The charger uses mechanical knobs and buttons, that connect to a 3 separate wire harnesses.

I got the nerve up the other day and took apart the assembly, and discovered that the knobs are all potentiometers (YAY!! i think). If they are potentiometers, I can control my microcontroller to output the same resistance and get it to take the place of the knobs.

HOWEVER!!!

Of the three knobs on the stock heater control (Fan speed, temp, zone), only the fan speed is a true no frills potentiometer, just connectors and potentiometer..I can figure that would out I believe.
The Kicker is the temp an zone. They are connected to a circuit board and IC chips.....im at a dead stop.

I have take some pics, I am hopeing someone can point me in a direction to decipher this and figure it out.

I am admitting this is the end of my electrical skills, at this point in time.
If i cant get this to work, get a new interface...my fall back idea (as lame as it is), will be to attach 3 servo motors tot he stock heater control, and hide it somewhere....then have the ipad/microcontroller control the servos, which will intern turn the knobs...very redneck and I'd like to avoid this.

Well that’s it. Hopefully someone can help me out.
Appreciate it guys.

- Snape

Attachments

• Fan_speed_pot.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 73
  • fan_speed_pot_2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 102
  • photo.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 78
  • photo2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 70
-