charging

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
ok...i had the "fuel problem" yesterday, and have some electrical problems today.
I connected a spare battery with cables to the power junction uner the hood to help start the car. got it warmed up and idling at 800 rpm. had 13 volts. idled it up to 2K and had 14 volts. brought back down to 800, and disconnected battery. tach started flaking, and voltage was at 12.5V. connected electric fan and voltage drops, car dies. restart. idle up to 1000, reconnect fan. everything's good. disconnect battery, voltage drops .5V. reconnect battery, drop to 800, disconnect battery, car dies. disconnect fan, reconnect battery, restart, disconnect battery, car dies.
(when car dies, i mean voltage fades away until car dies)

SO...it seems that even without the fan connected, sometimes voltage drops, and sometimes it doesn't when the battery is disconnected. and only at idle...seems to be fine at higher rpms.....in the garage.

can the alternator be working sometimes and not sometimes? i have always had fords, and anytime the alternator went, there was nothing...it wasn't sporadic.

I had the problem once. replaced alt and regulator problem went away. My meter would sometimes rise up and down before hand also.

If your running the stock alt they never did put out good. Voltage would always drop when you turned on the lights. Hell in winter with wipers,defrost, and lights on.
With all you have connected maybe its time to go to a 85-100amp alt.

this one is from an 80s chrysler....like a 5th ave or something...it was in the unkyard, but the car was complete and in good shape, so i figured i'd grab the alternator, regulator, and some relays for 20 bucks...

i'mm looking at getting a 78 amp from the parts store for 60 bucks....lifetime warranty

Be sure to check your wiring. It is recommend to up the size of the wiring from alt to gauge to battery. The extra voltage may cook some wires. Been there..Now have 8ga to alt and 100 amp cop alt, no flickering lights.

ok....put on a new 78 amp unit from O'reilly. also ran 8 AWG from the alt to the trunk. now I have 14V at an 800 rpm idle.

excellent.

-
Back