"Charlie" has Overheating probs- Here are my Clues and please chime in with opinions!

-
This is merely to alert those reading this thread there is a cooling system filter available. Google "Gano Filter" and you will find a device that fits the upper hose. I'm installing a used engine with a new radiator and figure it's good insurance. Price is $35 which includes shipping.

Trying not to put a Band-Aid on it, if I can- but that may well be the direction I may have to go. Just hate having to do that if not necessary- and putting the car down for an indeterminate time while I tear it down and have it hot tanked. Not to mention the money I have set aside for the other project getting sucked into this one. . .

Don't ya just Love the discovery of former owner ignorance and neglect? Makes me want to drop the slant through his roof :)
Sorry! I didn't mean to come across like a smart-a$$, Believe me I understand your frustration.

If you can get a pressure washer in there it might help. Pull the water pump and try to blow it out the freeze plug ports. Use a hanger in between pressure washing it out. Fish the hanger or welding rod in the freeze plug ports, and dig, every little bit that comes out frees up space for water. Otherwise! She has to come out. Fresh bearings, a dingle ball hone, rings and gaskets, a chemical dip, and fresh cam bearings, she'll be as good as new.

JamesDart, Logan, 540Valiant- and all, thanks for hanging in here with me.

I am now on extended vacation from flying- but not from life. Dramas finished or set aside, or simply endured. . .now, 'till I drop or get the thing to work as it should.

Slight recap: as you all know, it was a long term sitter, with no one to set it up properly for long term storage- and we are suffering the results of that.

Anyway, about everything investigated you could think of. . .and I am looking at the thing, in the garage, just idling, watching the water flow. . .and I see small and not so small flakes of material go past. . .and I think, hey aluminum radiator. . .wonder if that stuff is ferrous?

Go find my magnetic tool picker-upper and stick it down into the water. . .and it comes back with rust particles all over it. Hot too, as you can imagine. . .

So I spend a bunch of time fishing around on top of the cooling tubes back and forth. . .

. . .and the amount of rust I collected off the top of the radiator core tubes would have easily blanked out most of the water flow. And, the previous lower hose was sucked flat when I got to it to replace. . . .

So, radiator out, shook out, cleared out as much at I can. Still more of the Rust Remover put in and run. Ran it around last night for about 40 minutes at highway speeds circulating the rust remover and without thermostat- so far so good. Now will run her in the 100+ degree heat and see today.

I am still going to get some of that Rust Dissolver you fellows mentioned- and I will have to have some sort of catch-all basin to collect rust in- otherwise, I will eventually ruin this expensive new radiator every time the engine coughs up a big loogie of rust into it- which appears to be what happened this last time. And, I have to wonder what is already inside the cooling tubes I haven't been able to move out so far. . .?

Logan, if you have a specific place to get the filter you mentioned, I am all ears. Jamesdart, 66aCuda, the stuff I have found to use as rust remover isn't what you were suggesting. You have a place where I can call to see if they stock what you were referring to? The stuff I got was for "neglected cooling systems" (!!!!) by Prestone, and is sodium citrate of unknown concentration. If something out there really MELTS rust into a liquid without eating the whole block (and me!) I might consider it. Otherwise, anything that peels rust out of the block will have to go into a catch filter that will plumb into the upper hose, take heat and pressure, and can be opened for cleaning.

Me, I was thinking of putting a strong magnet on the end of my pressure cap. . .or just sitting inside the upper tank for now.

Again, thanks for hanging in with me- my hands have just been itching to get back to this thing and fix it so we can enjoy it. . . Might finally have this thing on the mend here!

Mike

-
Back