Chasing that 9's pass. What tyres?

-

No rush

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 74 mini tubbed dart with 10" wide rims. Car is a 500ci methanol big block with 14:1 compression, power glide trans and ford 9" with 3.2 gears. Running a single stage 200 shot nx nitrous kit so the car is making around 750hp. Weighs in at around 3600lbs.

My question is what tyres should I run, a radial or a slick?
At the off street drags (non preped drag strip, reaction time doesn't count)
Natural aspirated on 275 60 r15 et street r. The car ran 10.6 @ 131mph, 1.7 60'
On gas on the same tyres it ran, 10.1 @139.5mph, 1.8 60" (not stalling it up or using the trans brake or it just blows the tyres off it.)

What do guys suggest? If I can get it to hook of the trans brake it will be fast.

20210519_203945.jpg

20201126_074440.jpg

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, unless you are running a "small tire" class, put on the biggest, tallest, bias slick that will fit.
General concensus is that radials CAN BE faster, but only if the track prep is good, and set-up for radials.
Bias slicks can work with some wheel spin, and still give a good lap, if drag radials spin, it wont recover till the driver pedals, and by then the lap is garbage.
In no-prep, i would run bias slicks, 100%.

D83797CB-9636-4744-9E42-EC8140ECC3B2.png
powerglide on the street with a road gear seems like it s alot to ask of your motor
Any fresh 10.5 tire with a3.50-3.70 gear and lots of track time you'll find you've got a fast ride You won't need the nitrous till you get your car shook down if ever
Not all cars are ready for 700 horse bb

Thanks for the replies.
I will look onto getting the biggest bias slick I can fit. Thinking just a set if et drags will be fine.
The car should have everything it needs to go fast.

Pwr glide/3.2 gear/3600lb...... how would you even build a converter for this??

Pwr glide/3.2 gear/3600lb...... how would you even build a converter for this??

I am really new to racing, has a new convertor in it that I was told should be good for use with a trans brake. Guess time will tell.
Want to reduce the weight of the car but access to fibreglass bumpers and panel are hard to come by in Australia.
The gears are wrong due to the original build not being a race car.

-
Back