Chassis cert question

-
no it doesn't. not even seat belts. they only cert the chassis not any thing else, they are not tech guys. they can cert a chassis while it's on the jig. the other the stuff is for the tech guys to make sure it's all up to date and they will look at your cert tag too.

no it doesn't. not even seat belts. they only cert the chassis not any thing else, they are not tech guys. they can cert a chassis while it's on the jig. the other the stuff is for the tech guys to make sure it's all up to date and they will look at your cert tag too.

Yeah - it's all about the bars and the construction/welds.

You can have a chassis certified that's only been tacked together.

Shouldn't be able to. While they are not certifying the welds, they CAN fail a chassis because of under cut welds. The sanctioning body as well as SFI wouldn't be happy to know an inspector was doing this.

Shouldn't be able to. While they are not certifying the welds, they CAN fail a chassis because of under cut welds. The sanctioning body as well as SFI wouldn't be happy to know an inspector was doing this.

Talk to your NHRA chassis certification person. The guy I know that does it here works for NHRA division 2. I used to think the same thing but he told me different.

I know my chassis cert guy fairly well. I asked him once, just out of my own curiosity, what he could or couldnt do about the welds. He read me word for word what his "duties" are. There was a simple list of like 3 things he was suppose to be looking for. An undercut weld was the most important, another I remember as being a ground down weld(another big no-no, and another reason a tacked together chassis should not recieve a sticker).

What is an "undercut weld"?

My Demon used to have a cert tag and the bar above my head isn't even fully welded all the way around. They missed the top part where the halo loop hit the loop over my head cause of the roof being in the way. I thought all welds had to be 360*.

What is an "undercut weld"?

My Demon used to have a cert tag and the bar above my head isn't even fully welded all the way around. They missed the top part where the halo loop hit the loop over my head cause of the roof being in the way. I thought all welds had to be 360*.

From what I was told if you gusset the bars then u do not beer to weld all the way around it. Not sure if that is true.

-
Back