Chassis dolly/casters?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
gong to make like a chasis dolly. so that the entire car will be on casters..
I believe i want to attach the rear casters to the front leaf spring mounts.
trying to figure out some different ideas of how to attach some casters so that I can roll around the entire car.
i won't have a rear end or leaf springs on the car. and the engine and tranny are out of the car. also front end is out of the car..
I can weld too..

http://www.eastwood.com/autobody/rotisserie/body-carts.html

Take a look at some of these and you might get some ideas of your own.

Personally, the one I'm working on bolts into the front spring hangers for the rear with just some square tubing for coming down and a plate to bolt the caster to and for the front is a piece of plate bolted in on each side where the K-frame bolts in with more square tubing coming down like the rears. I'm still working on material so it hasn't come together yet, so no pics at the moment.

http://www.autotwirler.us/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=61\')

Too bad you werent closer!!! I have one that I am trying to sell, its for an E body, but you can modify it. Here are some pics of mine, I can take more pics of the caster if you want.

dolly3 (Medium).jpg

dolly2 (Medium).jpg

4spdragtop, thats what i'm thinking of making pretty much. except the rears will attach like ramenth said. so where the front of the leaf normally attaches..

thanks for the links ramenth. i'm checkin those out right now..

I've got a similar set-up on the front to Racingduster. It works well.

I've got a similar set-up on the front to Racingduster. It works well.
the k frame and fenders have to be off to use that setup though right? i'm trying to leave the fenders and k frame on for all the body work and stuff just because i dont want to deal with aligning fenders and removing steering column

those look like tires. are they rubber tires? or casters..?

i hadn't considered using rubber ones, but those would probably be more durable

I dont like the pneumatic tires. They like to leak. Id spent some money and neoprene (spl?) casters. Then bigger the better. that way it can roll over small rocks and stuff. Im trying to find better pics of the rear. I forgot I had these on my laptop.

Picture 595.jpg

the k frame and fenders have to be off to use that setup though right? i'm trying to leave the fenders and k frame on for all the body work and stuff just because i dont want to deal with aligning fenders and removing steering column

Nope just the bumper. It bolts right were the bumper brackets bolt

If you're worried about unbolting anything you could build a set up like 4spdragtop did and like in the first link I sent you. That set up would hold the car by the frame rails and you could leave everything in place as you want with still enough room to drop the rear out of it. Just an idea.
As far as the bumper bracketing to the fenders: don't think so. Should be just the "tie bar" that runs from the front of the fender over the bracket? That's the only thing you should need to remove.

If you're worried about unbolting anything you could build a set up like 4spdragtop did and like in the first link I sent you. That set up would hold the car by the frame rails and you could leave everything in place as you want with still enough room to drop the rear out of it. Just an idea.
As far as the bumper bracketing to the fenders: don't think so. Should be just the "tie bar" that runs from the front of the fender over the bracket? That's the only thing you should need to remove.

alright. i looked at the bumper brackets some more and i believe your right. I'm not worried at all about unbolting stuff. only worried about having to re-allign the front fenders..

the only thing I was worried about with the idea about on the frame rails like that is that it wouldn't be bolted on right? so couldnl't that sllide along the frame rail in theory? I know it has alot of weight on it, but still could slide i believe..

a few good ideas came from here though

how do you keep that from sliding though? seems like if you were to push the car from the left or the right if wouldn't be very stable on that though. or is there something that i'm missing?

The weight of the car will keep it in place. Think of the car as being on a twin post lift. The best place to lift it is on the frame rails. Push on the car. It's not sliding off the lift. In this case, you're placing the car on something with wheels. When you push it the casters will roll unless you have a lot of resistance against the casters, like the brakes being set or some obstruction. But the weight of the car, being set on four small fixed points will keep the car in place.

The 2 galvanized bolts in the previous picture actually bolt thru the 4x4's using some existing holes in the frame. In the back the 4x4's bolt using the existing front mount holes for the forward leaf spring brackets. The wheels came from Harbor Freight. The front swivel, the back don't.

Dart restoration 3 005.jpg

I've gottten alot of ideas from guys already. much appreciated. I'm goin to be making the Car dolly within the next few weeks now though. so time to pick a plan. since I was last on here, I got a brand new miller welder. So if I decide to do something with metal, it should be a breeze to weld together!

just seeing if anyone has more ideas or pictures of car dollys that they have made. thanks guys!

-
Back