Cheap Ebay GT-45 upgrades? possible?

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I purchased an economical turbo off ebay(GT-45) for my first turbo experience.
It was suggested on this forum that I open it up and clearance the oil passages? Plus make sure it has no debris
What about upgrading the bearings to a higher grade?
Is there anything else I could do to ensure the units reliability and longevity?.
For $260 bucks if i can get 5000 miles out of it I will be happy. I will keep a spare in the trunk-kidding

Thanks, the moderator can cancel this thread. I glossed over "Mad Dart's" project.
I assumed he was us an expensive turbo.
I did not realize he was using a cheap GT Ebay turbo. Everything I need is there
Great Pictures from Mad Dart!!!! I tried taking pics and posting them as I built my 911 and it was a pain with the lighting. Not as easy as it looks!!!

Actually i read through MAD DART's thread and I did not see were he opened up and checked the GT 45's unless I missed a page.Mad Dart went to the trouble to check other components I wonder why he didn't check the Turbo's???
I hate to take mine apart and ruin it but it sure looks reasonable with the propper tools
I AM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT GRADE BEARINGS THEY ARE USING? THEY MIGHT EASILY BE UPGRADEABLE.
I rebuild HIGH speed spindles for machine tools as a function of my business so I Know bearings and can get them for 50% off list.
IF ANYBODY HAS PULLED ONE APART THEY COULD SAVE ME SOME TROUBLE IF THEY COULD GIVE ME A HEADS UP AS TO WHAT THE BEARINGS ARE IN GT-45

FOR $260 FOR THE WHOLE UNIT THE BEARINGS HAVE TO BE SOMEWHAT INFERIOR!!!

Actually i read through MAD DART's thread and I did not see were he opened up and checked the GT 45's unless I missed a page.Mad Dart went to the trouble to check other components I wonder why he didn't check the Turbo's???
I hate to take mine apart and ruin it but it sure looks reasonable with the propper tools
I AM CURIOUS AS TO WHAT GRADE BEARINGS THEY ARE USING? THEY MIGHT EASILY BE UPGRADEABLE.
I rebuild HIGH speed spindles for machine tools as a function of my business so I Know bearings and can get them for 50% off list.
IF ANYBODY HAS PULLED ONE APART THEY COULD SAVE ME SOME TROUBLE IF THEY COULD GIVE ME A HEADS UP AS TO WHAT THE BEARINGS ARE IN GT-45

FOR $260 FOR THE WHOLE UNIT THE BEARINGS HAVE TO BE SOMEWHAT INFERIOR!!!

All I did was run 6 quarts of oil out the Drains on mine, There are no debris in these turbo's. Most of that BS is coming from guys that have not used them. People BEAT on these Turbo's with Diesel Trucks to 55PSI and More with over 40K miles on them. In my opinion and all the research I have read they are pretty much bullet proof. There are sellers on theturboforums.com that SWEAR they are indestructible, heavier than they would like but very strong and stout.

This thread here is dedicated to the GT45 Ebay "Cheapo Turbo"

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/d...e-info-on-gt45-y2004k-china-turbo-(new-pics)/

There are Rebuild kits on Ebay as well but I have not heard of anyone needing one as of yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT45-TURBOC...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a11a9e508#ht_3157wt_1075

Thanks " Mad Dart" for responding! I will flush mine and leave it alone.
Your excellent detail and photography skills give me some confidence that I can do this myself.

Thanks " Mad Dart" for responding! I will flush mine and leave it alone.
Your excellent detail and photography skills give me some confidence that I can do this myself.

That's great. Glad you could use the information. That is what it is all about!

-
Back