cheap flexplates

-

7duster4

Reaction score
How much would you pay for a stock flexplate??

I found that advance auto parts sells stock flexplates that require the 5/16 bolts for only $15. Im just not sure if it's a quality part or not. Seems very cheap to me, considering when summit sells the one I need for over $60. I beleive the one advance sells is either made by motormite or dorman. Would anyone trust it? I saw one on ebay for $40. But it sure would be nice to save as much money as possible. I just don't want to run into this problem again down the road. What would everyone here do? Thanks

I probably wouldn't pay over $20 for a stock one. I am looking at buying a good one also. Was the one on Summit a stock replacement or an aftermarket one like a B&M? If it is a B&M that would explain the price difference. It mostly depends on what you need. If you have a near stock engine or even one that is no more than 350 hp a stock one is ok. Anything over that and I start to worry.

Can you take your original to advance and compare it to theirs?

I would be careful about a stock flexplate if you got some power. I ripped the center out of mine with a 340 with edel heads 10:1, crower solid cam, 727 2500 stall, and 3.91 gears. Bought an overpriced B&M that was SFI approved.

Check out this site http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

I probably wouldn't pay over $20 for a stock one. I am looking at buying a good one also. Was the one on Summit a stock replacement or an aftermarket one like a B&M? If it is a B&M that would explain the price difference. It mostly depends on what you need. If you have a near stock engine or even one that is no more than 350 hp a stock one is ok. Anything over that and I start to worry.

Can you take your original to advance and compare it to theirs?

The one from summit was a mopar performance and is a stock replacment.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DCC-4876821&autoview=sku

These take the 5/16 bolts, but thats too much for my budget. Summit also sells a mopar performance for $44 but requires the 7/16 bolts. My torque converter is a stock replacment so it takes the 5/16. The new flexplate won't get put in until a couple months from now. I can still drive it. It's still getting body work done and when it's finished painted the flexplate will get put in.

My duster isn't a powerhouse. But may make a couple passes down the track. It's just a built 318. Edlebrock intake and 4-barrel. .030 over block, 340 cam/lifters and valve springs. New pistons with zero deck clearence, valve job, original heads ported. Rebuilt 904. When the flexplate gets put in, the 2.76 gears will be ditched in favor for 3.21 sure-grip. I would guess im pushing close to 300hp at the crank.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PIO&MfrPartNumber=FRA303&PartType=267&PTSet=A

So you guys would think a in-expensive one should get the job done with no worrys?

I bought one from Advance (I think it was a Motormite) for my AMC Eagle 4WD Wagon daily driver. My only concern when I bought it was that the bolt holes were a bit raised around the edges so I dressed them a bit with a file. My car certainly isn't a powerhouse either, just a stock 6 cyl. The plate has been in use for 3 or 4 years now & I've had no problems with it. I don't abuse it but I've been known to tow about 3500 pounds with the car & I also take it off road on occasion. I think you could probably get by with one behind your engine but if you plan on more power in the future you might want to get something stronger.

Check Mancini's. the show a bunch of 5/16" bolt flesplates in the $17 - $22 range. My SFI one for 7/16" bolts was only $33.

-
Back