Cheap recipes in trying times.

-
no one said it....

MAC AND CHEESE

:)

and a can of tuna or cream of mushroom soup or both

My mom back in the day used to make a tuna casserole with potato chips, tuna, elbow macaroni and cream of mushroom soup. That was pretty good stuff but potato chips had gotten ridiculously expensive these days, over 4 bucks a pound last time I went shopping. WTF? It's potatoes cut thin and fried in oil for Pete's sake.

Scrambled eggs and spinach a cap full of apple vinegar salt and pepper dash of hot souce twice a week
I have some white beans soaking in a bowl of water in the fridge now.
NO white bread or potatoes for me,Yet a good potatoe soup sure is good.
celery and peanut butter is a good light meal, But a walk to the pond for some fresh fish baked on the grill makes for a good cheep meal.
Beans and peanut butter is full of protein, But I do enjoy a good pork lion know and then. i bet I eat 12 eggs a week one way or another :-D

My mom back in the day used to make a tuna casserole with potato chips, tuna, elbow macaroni and cream of mushroom soup. That was pretty good stuff but potato chips had gotten ridiculously expensive these days, over 4 bucks a pound last time I went shopping. WTF? It's potatoes cut thin and fried in oil for Pete's sake.

why,d you have to bring me into it for Petes sake lol

Fry up a cheap pack of bacon and break it up and drain a can of corn. add this to a box of jiffy cornbread mix and bake. great with a glass of ice tea and you can carry a couple pieces in wax paper for a filling lunch. best bacon to get is the ends and pieces that they sell discount.Under 5 bucks to fill up 2 or 3 times.

Kraft Macaroni-n-Cheese, 4 hot dogs cut up mixed in with the Macaroni while it's boiling, and some Italian bread-n-butter to eat with it.

Now wonder I have a weight problem.

When I was a kid, we were so poor, we had jam sandwiches every day, ya know, 2 pieces of bread jammed together.

Hey Joe, you can still snag a big can of Pringles for 99 cents!!!

I'll have to check that out next time I run to the store. Thanks!

why,d you have to bring me into it for Petes sake lol

:-D

Fry up a cheap pack of bacon and break it up and drain a can of corn. add this to a box of jiffy cornbread mix and bake. great with a glass of ice tea and you can carry a couple pieces in wax paper for a filling lunch. best bacon to get is the ends and pieces that they sell discount.Under 5 bucks to fill up 2 or 3 times.

I'm going to have to try this one....

here's one that's filling for one or a good side for a family...

take a whole sweet potato (prefereably one that is long and thin), clean and cut into 1/4" thick chips. lay them out on a cookie sheet. in the microwave or on the stove melt a tbsp of butter and about 1/4 cup of olive oil, add salt, pepper, some basil flakes or the spices of your choice, drizzle or brush the melted mixture over the sweet potato chips. put in oven for about 20 minutes at 350 or until potato start to blacken around the edges. serve with sour cream to dip them in, very tasty!!!

here's another favorite that will fill up two people for cheap...black bean burrito's.

simmer a can of black beans on the stove with some garlic salt and pepper in them to taste. once they are soft, drain off the liquid, slap them on a tortilla and add your favorite fillings...lettuce, tomatoes from the garden, some cheese, sour cream and maybe a cut-up avocado. 1 can usually makes enough beans for 3 to 4 burritos, if leftover beans and filling, they are usually good the next day.

heres a couple crock pot recipes...

roast with potatos and carrots and onions. this is as simple as it sounds. put the roast in the crock pot (as stated earlier buy the cheapest toughest cut you can find, it will be fork tender when ready), add some cut-up potatoes, carrots, onions, some salt, pepper and a little water and let it simmer overnight or while at work. by the time its ready it will be very tender and the potatoes and carrots will taste soooo good. use the juice from the crock pot, add a little corn starch and the leftover meat and veggies and simmer it into beef stew for the next day's dinner. or shred and simmer the leftover meat in barbeque sauce and serve as sandwiches.

buy the cheapest bulk frozen chicken breasts you can find. thaw, trim, and put them in the crock pot. dump in a bottle of your favorite barbeque sauce, a little water to make it go farther, and simmer all day on low. serve with jiffy cornbread and your favorite sides or shred chicken and serve on bread with coleslaw.

here's some more...

biscuits and gravy.... buy the bulk size box of bisquik to make the money stretch. make up 6-12 biscuits depending on family size. fry up a tube of sausage or pound of bacon. when done, leave the grease in the pan, add 1-2 tbsp of cornstarch and cook till brown. add 1-2 cups milk and stir stir stir until gravy is thick. salt and pepper to taste. crumble up sausage or bacon into the gravy and serve over biscuits. fried eggs go good with it

Chili....another crock pot recipe or make it on the stove..brown up 1 to 1.5 lbs of the cheapest ground beef you can buy. drain and set aside. in large pot or crock pot, add 2 cans kidney beans, 1 can tomato paste, 2 diced tomatoes, 1 diced jalapeno, 1 diced green pepper, add two onions (i like to just quarter them because i'm not a huge fan of onions), the ground beef, 2 bean cans of water, 1 cup of ketchup, a handful of black pepper, handful of chili powder, smaller handful of salt.mix it up and let it simmer until the onions
are soft and the sauce thickens up (takes about 2 hours on low-medium heat on stove). add salt, pepper, chili powder as it is cooking to your taste. boil up a pound of pasta, serve over pasta and top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. This will feed a family of four easily for about $15.00 and still have leftovers for lunch the next day. this is almost a weeks worth of food for one person although everyone i work with hates me after a week of chili haha.

I have more but i'll let someone else chime in now.

GREAT THREAD!!!!

Scrambled eggs and spinach a cap full of apple vinegar salt and pepper dash of hot souce twice a week
I have some white beans soaking in a bowl of water in the fridge now.
NO white bread or potatoes for me,Yet a good potatoe soup sure is good.
celery and peanut butter is a good light meal, But a walk to the pond for some fresh fish baked on the grill makes for a good cheep meal.
Beans and peanut butter is full of protein, But I do enjoy a good pork lion know and then. i bet I eat 12 eggs a week one way or another :-D

Treva said to take a picture of the pork loin I cooked up on the grill nice and Tender =P~ :-D I did say I like a pork loin know and then :-D

art work 66 Valiant 054.jpg

Optik, good call on the chili. I've been using Carol Shelby's chili mix for probably 20 years. Good flavor and you can add ingredients to taste, like green or jalepeno peppers and onions. I use a pound of hamburger, and mix it up with the beans, sometimes I use red or light kidney beans, sometimes black beans. Whatever I have in the cupboard. If you want to stretch your dollar, you can use half the ingredients from the kit and it still has a good flavor. If you really want to stretch it, serve over rice. one pot will last me for a week, or I freeze some for later.

American Chop Suey

1lb browned ground beef
1 large can stewed tomatoes with the juice
2 small cans of tomato paste
medium size bag of cooked elbow noodles
1/4 of a fresh white onion or however much minced dry onion you'd like

basically it's just a poor mans spagetti, and eats perfect the next day straight from the fridge

My mom did too.........helluva suggestion.

Eating some right now!

YumYum!!!

There has been a lot of quail around. Been thinking of baging a few. They are very tasty. Wonder if you need a hunting permit to shoot them if they are on your property.

My wife and I make (what feels like) a 5 gallon batch of homemade chicken and noodles from scratch. We eat it for a few days and then freeze the rest. When you break down the actual cost, it's cheap! No pun intended.

I'll tell you what's not cheap to buy anymore, a can of :spam2:

i like hamburger soup. brown a pound or two of hamburger and throw can corn, green beans,chunked potato,can of tomatos ,onions,carrots and a few beef boullion cubes. simmer till potatoes and carrot chunks are tender and then throw in some elbow noodles. makes a big pot that will fill you up for days. Or the simple one a good ol fried bologna sandwich. I dont weigh 280 for nothing.lol

how about fried potatoes and onions with hobo steak on the side. (that's one can of spam sliced)hobo sauce is optional. that's a little brown mustard with brown sugar heat make it like a paste. this can be put over any thing. mmmmmm gooooooooood !!!!!!!!!!:cheers:

French onion soup tastes great and is easy & cheap to make: cook 2-3 thinly sliced yellow onions in olive oil or butter for approx 7-10 min or until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Put approx 5-6 cups chicken or beef broth (or a combo of the two) in pot, 1 Tsp worcestershire sause, & splash of cheap red wine, bring to boil all ingredients and simmer for 15 min or so. Season to taste w/salt & pepper. To serve, ladel soup into bowls & top with toasted slice of French bread with melted Swiss cheese on top. Yummy! My wife eyeballs all ingredients, so measures are approx.

One meal I used to make in college was cook 1 lb of ground beef, get rid of fat. Then add to one prepared box of macaroni & cheese. It's like cheap hamburger helper and savory if you are at all hungry. Even tastes better the next day.

If you buy lettuce, try butter lettuce since it is one of the few that actually have vitamins and some decent food value. Iceberg lettuce is not worth the cost IMO.

My friend in college and I were poor (weren't we all?) so we made due with cheap cuts of meat, marinated in cheap Italian salad dressing, a simple butter lettuce salad, and for dessert: butterscotch/caramel made from boiling a can of condensed milk halfway in a pot for about 30 min. It's really good.

The fastest dinner is quesadillas, which is just a folded tortilla with melted cheese in the middle. You can also use chili to fill a tortilla to make a quick burrito.

Above all, do not forget to drink beer, since it has many nutrients you body craves :mrgreen:

i have another one....

Greek Spaghetti

Dice 1 onion, 1 green pepper, half can black olives, half can green olives (without the pimentos). cook some bacon in the microwave (5-6 slices). Fry up the pepper, onions, and olives in a skillet with a little olive oil, spice to taste with salt and pepper and a little bit of garlic powder. crumble the bacon and add to the fry about halfway through. once the onions are soft take it off the fire. boil up some spaghetti and serve the mix over it straight, with the olive oil. VERY tasty. this makes enough for two people, double it for a family of four.

if you are really low on money, make a box of mac and cheese when its done drain and add a can of tuna. simple, cheap, and tasty.

my local grocery has those "pasta sides" that come in a bag for a little over a dollar. one of those is enough to fill me up. but i'm a little guy (140 lbs.) so it don't take much.

I've not been cooking much lately due to depression and just general lack of time but this post has got me inspired to do a little more. my grocery budget is around $50-70 a month so i really need to make things that i can make batches of and eat for several days.

-Tim

George Formann grill??!! I must be living on the backside of the moon! Wow how much things have changed since I have been back home.

just thought of another one---

Poor Man's Pizza

buy a loaf of italian bread, a cheap can of pizza sauce, and a block of mozzarella.

Slice the bread, put slices on cookie sheet. top with pizza sauce and shred cheese on top. add toppings as desired. cook in oven at 450 till cheese is melted and starts to brown. you could probalby feed a family of four this way for half the cost of an x-large 1 topping pizza.

-Tim

Give me a f___ing break. This tread is getting pretty boring. Take an old camshaft, put it in a bun and munch on it! Ketchup, mustard optional!

-
Back