[WANTED] Cheap Small block cam for budget build.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

glhx

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I have a pretty worn engine I’m putting some life back into with new bearings and baskets. A new timing chain and oil pump.

It’s a 318 and has the stock 240 cam.

The cam I have is good but I’m putting a feeler out there in case someone has a cam they want to sell cheap or just get rid of....
The way I see it....why not go a little bit bigger than stock.

I would like 255-265 range as I’m running a stock converter and 2.76 gears.

I have a pretty worn engine I’m putting some life back into with new bearings and baskets. A new timing chain and oil pump.

It’s a 318 and has the stock 240 cam.

The cam I have is good but I’m putting a feeler out there in case someone has a cam they want to sell cheap or just get rid of....
The way I see it....why not go a little bit bigger than stock.

I would like 255-265 range as I’m running a stock converter and 2.76 gears.
A lot of guys on a use the Summit Racing cams. They have two for SBM

I agree about the Summit cams, but they have four now. They're ground by Crane so they are good quality. I kinda like this one for what you're doin. You'll still need matching springs and lifters of course. I think they sell the cam and lifter kit as well.

Summit Racing® Camshafts SUM-1789

Alol the summit cams are too big.
The k50052 is the closest at 272. They recently taised the price of this of for some reason.

The other two are the k9600 and the k9602 and they are way too big. I’d like a 262 or something that will go with the ridiculously low compression. And the highway gears. The 262 and close to that is about as big as you can go. The xe268 is even too big.

I’m looking for something pretty cheap. This build is on a really tight budget. It’s getting all new bearings....$60. I’m just giving it back some life.

Alol the summit cams are too big.
The k50052 is the closest at 272. They recently taised the price of this of for some reason.

The other two are the k9600 and the k9602 and they are way too big. I’d like a 262 or something that will go with the ridiculously low compression. And the highway gears. The 262 and close to that is about as big as you can go. The xe268 is even too big.

I’m looking for something pretty cheap. This build is on a really tight budget. It’s getting all new bearings....$60. I’m just giving it back some life.

That 216 @ .050 I posted is just right. I understand about budget. Let me look in my stash. I might have one left.....I caint remember what I did with it.

I didn’t see that 1789 cam....

That’s a good price on that.

Wouldn’t that cause some matching issues with compression and gearing?

I’m curious about that and was gonna ask.

The 262 cam has a 218/224 @50

This 272 is 216@50
Lol......I love the signature at the bottom of your posts...216@50 is for sisssies. Lol
Im screwed!

I know they measure them based on @50 more than advertised.
Does that mean that the 272 is actually smaller than the 262

I’m curious about that and was gonna ask.

The 262 cam has a 218/224 @50

This 272 is 216@50
Lol......I love the signature at the bottom of your posts...216@50 is for sisssies. Lol
Im screwed!

I know they measure them based on @50 more than advertised.
Does that mean that the 272 is actually smaller than the 262

The larger number is advertised duration. Usually taken at around .006" lift. The smaller number is duration taken at .050" which is the industry standard to make comparing cams easier. The 216@ .050 is mild, but for a stock 318, it's a nice step up. It will have a definite noticeable idle. You'd like it if you can swing it.

Oh and all I have left is the following.

A Ranger 2.3 Hydraulic roller cam.

A Mustang GT 302 Hydraulic cam.

A hot slant six solid flat tappet.

A custom grind .700 lift solid roller for a 351 cleveland.

I don't think any of those will work for you. I remembered as I was looking through them that I sold that last small block cam I had to Tim (ABodyBomber) before he died. He never even got a chance to use it.

That’s really sad that he died. People leave so much behind and so much left undone ....and their family misses them a lot. Not a fan of that

Don’t you thirst 2.3 cam would work...if I put two of them in it might be fine.

And....is that 272 realistically too much cam for this engine....If so I’ll see what I can do about going smaller if I can swing that or wait it out to see what anyone has.

Lol.....at this point I could even mate my old lifters to it and not worry about the life of it.....so even if they had just the cam it would probably be fine. I would laugh if this thing made over 300hp in this condition

That’s really sad that he died. People leave so much behind and so much left undone ....and their family misses them a lot. Not a fan of that

I really wanted to see him use that cam, too. It was EXACTLY the kind of old school thing he loved. It was an old NOS Crane grind. This is the same cam, but the one I had was an original Fireball in the original cool lookin box. It is a nasty little grind. Wouldda sounded really choppy. Like a top fueler in a 318. LOL

Crane Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts 690221

Don’t you thirst 2.3 cam would work...if I put two of them in it might be fine.

And....is that 272 realistically too much cam for this engine....If so I’ll see what I can do about going smaller if I can swing that or wait it out to see what anyone has.

Lol.....at this point I could even mate my old lifters to it and not worry about the life of it.....so even if they had just the cam it would probably be fine. I would laugh if this thing made over 300hp in this condition

Naw, I think the cam I linked to is just right.

......and you never know. A loose engine always makes more power. I wouldn't think 300 HP is outta the question. You gonna run headers?

Lol.....that’s definitely a loose engine......almost as loose as it gets

Yeah I have some hedman shortys I got for $50. I’ll see what I can do on that. I might have to wait but it would be worth it. If someone comes up with something for like $20-50 that would be awesome but unexpected.
Like...hey have had this sitting on a shelf for ten years....you want it for cheap? I want it gone.

I have a streetmaster
600 Holley
Double roller
340 air cleaner
Herman headers
Dual exhaust
The heads will be ported
And a Hei distributor to fire it.

All it needs now is a cam to run it and it should be there. The cam is the limiting factor at this point and anything over 300 is about perfect for the street.

Not too fast and just a good feel in the lightweight a body.

Lol.....that’s definitely a loose engine......almost as loose as it gets

Yeah I have some hedman shortys I got for $50. I’ll see what I can do on that. I might have to wait but it would be worth it. If someone comes up with something for like $20-50 that would be awesome but unexpected.
Like...hey have had this sitting on a shelf for ten years....you want it for cheap? I want it gone.

I have a streetmaster
600 Holley
Double roller
340 air cleaner
Herman headers
Dual exhaust
The heads will be ported
And a Hei distributor to fire it.

All it needs now is a cam to run it and it should be there. The cam is the limiting factor at this point and anything over 300 is about perfect for the street.

Not too fast and just a good feel in the lightweight a body.

No, the heads are the limiting factor. But ported, they'll be a good match for that cam. Possibly better than good.

They are getting painted and then ported today. Didn’t figure I’d go that far with it but for $9 in dreamed tools and several threads on it.

Why not.

318willrun did a build like this and did beat that 340 duster he was after for less than $500 in the entire engine build. I’m doing the same thing.

They are getting painted and then ported today. Didn’t figure I’d go that far with it but for $9 in dreamed tools and several threads on it.

Why not.

318willrun did a build like this and did beat that 340 duster he was after for less than $500 in the entire engine build. I’m doing the same thing.

He's been a great source of information. I love his head porting how to videos. He's a good dude. I don't care what JPar says. lol

I’ll throw it out there - I have 2 SBM cams - 1 new; the other used (I think). Can get specs later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back