Check out my crib!

-
Looks great so far.
I just went and measured my granddaughters crib and the distance from the floor to the lowest point on the mattress is 12". This give room for storage of extra boxes of diapers etc.
Also I assume you are making the mattress adjustable?

as it sits. the bottom of the mattress platform is sitting @ 16" up from the floor. I plan to cut 6" off and drop it to the 12" height. I had not planned to make the mattress adjustable but it is something that is easily accomplished.

I would make the mattress adjustable, for infants it is convenient for mom not have to bend over to pick the child up.
Three adjustments are about perfect, towards the top, midway and all at the bottom.

I would make the mattress adjustable, for infants it is convenient for mom not have to bend over to pick the child up.
Three adjustments are about perfect, towards the top, midway and all at the bottom.

Ha ha ha wouldn't hurt my sister to bend down and back up a few times! Ha ha ha hope she don't read that. But if she does....... Love ya sis.

I totally understand that and that's sort of what I was trying to convey in the last sentence. I was just trying to reassure you that that standard doesn't in a legal sense apply to you. That's all.

Exactly why I posted it - in case you hadn't seen the latest on what has been to determined to be best safety practices

Don't add any protective cushions and put spikes all across the top rails. By the time that kid is in school, he or she will be kickin everybody's *** they'll be so tough.

Geez! Nice work! Are you putting on wheels so your wife can move it around while cleaning? lol!!

Curious, what type of paint are (did) you using on that? And how do you treat the steel so that while the baby is teething there's no change of paint flaking?

Holy crap that is nice work. I am going to have to show my wife (aka Grandma) this! You know producing high end baby gear is probably a very lucrative business, have you seen what some of that stuff costs? I have seen some baby strollers approaching $1000! I always thought that once my kids flew the coop I no longer worry about that stuff. Now that I have a bunch of grandkids I unfortunately have learned that I am in round 2 of buying and equipping our house with baby gear just in case they visit!

Geez! Nice work! Are you putting on wheels so your wife can move it around while cleaning? lol!!

Curious, what type of paint are (did) you using on that? And how do you treat the steel so that while the baby is teething there's no change of paint flaking?

It will be powder coated. 100% non toxic

Got it all done and did the reveal today. It was a wonderful feeling seeing her light up when she saw it.

Thanks guys. Felt nice to do something selfless. Sounds pretty cheesy but made me feel good on a whole other level to see my mother and sisters reactions when they saw it. My family has always been lower middle class. We were never "poor" or went without what we needed in life but we didn't have allot of the finer things in life. It feels great to know that what I built made my family feel special.

I know they had to be extremely proud of you. Bet they didn't know you could turn out such beautiful work

Glad your mom and sis liked it, it looks great.

How much did it end up weighing, it looks rather stout.

Excellent work.... you are going to be a great uncle

-
Back