Check out My old water pump

-

bremereric

Reaction score
:cheers: Last summer I was cruising to a local every Saturday car show. When I was backing into my parking spot coolant sprayed all over my engine compartment. At first everyone tought that a hose busted. After letting the engine cool down and waiting for the flatbed tow truck to arrive I reached down and could move the fan back and forth several inches. When I got the car home and took the shroud and fan off this is what I found: 8)

Broken water pump snout.....

IMG00253.jpg

This is the 340 roller motor that broke it.......

IMG00277.jpg

Several people said an out of balance fan, I checked it and it was good. It was a seven blade fan and thermal clutch from a 440 motor home. I believe that it was a bad replacement (after market) casting. What do you think?

If you run a heavy fan clutch or out of balance fan that can cause water pump failure. I had a water pump shaft snap on me and trash my radiator and I believe it was due to a heavy out of balance fan clutch.

Probably a combination of things. Casting flaw, probably. Maybe also too much belt tension? Color of the break looks odd, almost yellow? Maybe it's just my monitor?

Probably a combination of things. Casting flaw, probably. Maybe also too much belt tension? Color of the break looks odd, almost yellow? Maybe it's just my monitor?

It could have been cause from a loose belt as well. a loose belt could cause a whipping action, that could do the same thing.

But in the end i shouldn't have done that. Has to be a bad pump. maybe it cracked when they installed the bearing and cause it to brake.:dontknow:

Yeah it look Yellow on mine as well................................

i've had 4-5 parts store wp's fail, but its been a long time since ones done it. lucky you it didnt go through the radiator! 2 of the ones i had go did :(

i've had 4-5 parts store wp's fail, but its been a long time since ones done it. lucky you it didnt go through the radiator! 2 of the ones i had go did :(

Take another look at the snout, see the older looking crack running from front to back. This is what I tought, bad casting and probably was cracked from installation of new bearing and seal. This probably weakened the other area.The yellow looking stuff is where the casting started to rust right away. :read2:

Discoloration in a broken metal piece, when different from the rest, generally indicates it has been breaking for some time, but the yellow, I can't explain. Maybe that new space aged Chinese-Indian aluminum alloy?

-
Back