Check out these measurements for my 8 3/4

-

65barracudadude

Reaction score
Some of you know that I scored an 8 3/4 this weekend from our wonderful member "Argometer". It turned out to be a sure grip. Which I still just cannot believe. Also here are the measurements. Drum to drum[51.2"], perch to perch[44"], center housing to end of yoke[12.35"]. Now, a original A-body 8 3/4 measurements are: Drum to Drum[ 51.4"], perch to perch[43"], center housing to end of yoke[12.35"]. As you can see, I'm just BLOWN AWAY!!!! This means that this rear will not only work without having to narrow it at all, but it is actually narrower that the original A- body 8 3/4. The only thing I'll have to do is move the spring perches in 1/2" on each side, or buy a pair of the offset shackles. WOW!!!! I'm so happy, I just cannot believe it.

36-24-36??? Oops, I was checking the measurments from the Mopar babes thread!!! Nice score there, 65barracudadude, slip it under there and start burnin' some rubber!! Good luck with your project, Geof

Thanks. I'm really excited. I thought I'd be saving for a long time to be able to afford one. One thing I am wondering about though, can I switch this rear over to normal axles?? It is the old style with the bolt on drums.

65 let me know what you find out i have one of those myself came out of a 1951 dodge meadowbrooke and i too was wondering if it can be converted

Yes you can, but you may need new housing ends or have to adapt the newer backing plates to fit. I haven't seen one of those in so long I can't remember. But yeah, if you are going to move the spring perches go ahead and get the offset shackles so you'll have a little more tire room.

Otherwise you'll need
Flanged axles, bearings and retainers.
drums
backing plates
shoes. wheel cylinders, axle seals etc.

-
Back