Check your radiator caps!

-

Les Gibson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was at Lebanon Valley Dragway this past weekend. Bought into the Friday track rental as I've only made two full pass 1/4 runs in the Arrow this season. Things were going great, made 4 passes with a best run of 9.28. The last run of the evening potential disaster struck. Car was running great until just before the finish line my windshield was suddenly soaked with water and fogged up to the point that I couldn't see. So I popped the chute to slow me up quicker and was able to find the turn off. Pulled over and shut the engine off. Could see a big puddle of water under the front of the engine. Got towed back to my trailer and commenced to diagnose what had happened. Long story short, it was the radiator cap on the in intake manifold water neck. the side of the cap at one of the ears had cracked on both sides of the ear and had popped up under pressure allowing all that water to spew up through the hood scoop onto my windshield. Thankfully, nothing got under my tires. Racer parked next to me had a couple of spare caps and gave me one that got me back in business. This is one of those things that I have never thought about checking on a regular basis but you best believe I'll be checking them moving forward!
Also, thought that my electric water pump motor had fried during this little evolution as after I got the cooling system re-filled and the replacement cap on it was moving any water. Took the motor off and found several pieces of the upper radiator hose reinforcement wire had corroded, broken free and found their way into the motor impeller jamming it up. Got all of that junk cleaned out and pump worked fine. Racing weekend saved! Just wanted to share this with my fellow racers to help others avoid these issues.

Yes check it over, could crash the car that way. No part is too simple, just looking it over is free.

daily driver rad cap side story.

I had a reliable beater daily driver car. Every so often people coming the other way would honk at me a short way from the house. I wondered why, I was driving normally. So one day I forgot something and went back home. I saw coolant coming out under the front of the car. The rad cap was leaking. It it would not leak on a hot engine with full pressure, just when warming up. Cap looked ok used, but the rubber seal had grooves in it. Needed coolant added to the overflow tank sometimes.

I have manual steering now as the result of a power steering hose blowing at 120 mph, brakes don't stop very good with fluid on them.
Thank god for the bales of hay in the trap zone.

-
Back