Checking Torque #'s

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im replacing the bushing in my rear suspension. I have the FSM, but Im questioning the torque specs for the rear shackles and mount. The rear spring mount says 30 ft. lbs., I was expecting more, but that is reasonable. The one I question is the shackles nuts, the FSM say 45 ft. lbs. for non 7-1/4" rear ends, I have a 8-3/4. That seems like a awful lot of torque on that small stud.

Should i just snug them up good and tight or is there a recommended spec I should follow. I dont want to snap the stud off.

I'd just snug em up good and tight about like the mount.
I think they are crush nuts IIRC and won't back off anyway.

Also I seem to remember that using an aftermarket bushing I had to stop before the nut bottomed out to keep from smashing the crap out of the poly bushings.
Just something to watch for and be aware of.

As usual Reading Is Fundamental , the manual lists the shackle nut torque at 40 ft lbs for everything but Valiant and 30 ftlbs for Valiant . The spec you are quoting is for the U Bolt and yes 45 ftlbs is the number for the U Bolt . Remember to final torque with the weight on the spring .

As usual Reading Is Fundamental , the manual lists the shackle nut torque at 40 ft lbs for everything but Valiant and 30 ftlbs for Valiant . The spec you are quoting is for the U Bolt and yes 45 ftlbs is the number for the U Bolt . Remember to final torque with the weight on the spring .

THAT ^^^^^^

Ugh, I went and reread the manual. Yep your right Cannucky, Im not sure how I misread that, but thank you for the clarification.

-
Back