Chevy valve in J-head

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Found a good deal on a set of these. Is the Summit valve decent quality? Will these Chevy valves work in a 2.02 J-head?
Summit Racing SUM-V8002-8 Summit Racing™ Race Valves for Chevrolet | Summit Racing

Obviously the diameter is smaller but that isn't a problem if the guides are being redone anyway? Smaller diameter should help a little with flow.

The length work OK with .500"-ish lift cam? They are 4.911" long vs 4.980 for a stock SBM. That shorter length would be my biggest concern.

My '71 J-heads should be gone through before they go back on and these valves are almost too cheap to pass up.

Last edited:
Found a good deal on a set of these. Is the Summit valve decent quality? Will these Chevy valves work in a 2.02 J-head?
Summit Racing SUM-V8002-8 Summit Racing™ Race Valves for Chevrolet | Summit Racing

Obviously the diameter is smaller but that isn't a problem if the guides are being redone anyway? Smaller diameter should help a little with flow.

The length work OK with .500"-ish lift cam? They are 4.911" long vs 9.810 for a stock SBM. That shorter length would be my biggest concern.

My '71 J-heads should be gone through before they go back on and these valves are almost too cheap to pass up.
Um, SBM valves are 5" long- not 9.810. Valves should be okay depending what retainers and keepers you use.

I have the +100 in my J heads, 2.02 and 1.60. As you said, just get the 11/32 guides for them. Make sure to get the matching single groove locks at whatever retainer degree you’re going to run (10 or 7).

Edit:
Doesn’t look like you can get a 5.011 length in Summit brand…4.911 is gonna be short.

Our old iron head 360 has 1.96 small stem valves in it.

Yes .100 longer chevys. Pics are actually of a 1.94 +.100 long in this set. for a 5.010 oal.
20221025_175829.jpg

20221025_180834.jpg

Doesn’t look like you can get a 5.011 length in Summit brand…4.911 is gonna be short.
There is the rub for me in this instance and the reason I asked. The valves I have access to are the stock length Chevy ones new in box, $50 for all 16. I am aware of the benefit of the +.100 versions but this ain't them. Sounds like they might could work for a stock lift build but being .080" short of the stockers doesn't make them viable for anything more aggressive than that.

And at about 80 thou shorter than stock, what you gona use for a valve spring that's already installed height challenged?

And at about 80 thou shorter than stock, what you gona use for a valve spring that's already installed height challenged?
Offset .050" locks could get half of that back but I agree, less than optimal or unusable for anything that would have more than stock lift. Too bad for me.

There is the rub for me in this instance and the reason I asked. The valves I have access to are the stock length Chevy ones new in box, $50 for all 16. I am aware of the benefit of the +.100 versions but this ain't them. Sounds like they might could work for a stock lift build but being .080" short of the stockers doesn't make them viable for anything more aggressive than that.
I know, I'm a sucker for a deal too...but sometimes you save more money in the long run by not saving money in the first place.

-
Back