Choices

-

Dave_Hath

Frustrated Metal Beater
Reaction score
I am at a crossroads and am not sure which way to go.....
I have both a 0 miles fresh rebuilt 68 318 with an isky cam mildly ported 318 heads and factory 340 4v intake and Carter AVS, and a 1989 360 from a Ramcharger with 35,000miles on it....not sure which way to go...any input ???

Thanks

Dave

318 all the way. Sounds like a nice one.

With the 318 you know what you have from the start.

318/340 , had bearings and crank go bad on 2 78 and 1 89 360 , never trusted them after that . Only thing that went bad on my 72 318 was the plastic timing chain gear , easily fixed with a new double row gear set

Here is a vote for the 89' 360.

More Cubic Inches
Roller Cam
308 heads

Period.

Keep the 318 for a backup

Put the 318 in since it is ready to go and wouldn't cost any more $$$.
Drive it around and see if you like it.
Once you get tired of it, then dump more $$$ into the 360. Drive it around for a while.
Then decide which one you like better and go with that one.

Heres a ?? for ya, does the 318 have hardened valve seats?? if so then i would go that way if not I am sure the 360 DOES have hardened seats, you could put in lead additive (in the 318) though...but i've heard that is getting harder to find. just a thought.

Would be really simple to have both. Just use the 318 now since it is fresh and done. Work on the 360 over time and make it a barn burner.

First thanks for all the input, the car was originally a /6 Duster a 71......some one before me did a V-8 swap but the engine is gone....this is not my first mopar....but in the past it has been 318/323 builds a 383 and a built 400 in a volare. This car will be a daily driver except for the winter. It will have to be able to run hard and be a driver, it will be backed by an A-518 trans. This will be strong street car....I only have 2 other vehicles a 1999 2500 ram v-10 and a 1971 H-D Superglide with a 93 inch shovel-head. So the Duster should be comparable to its stable mates. It also has to be superior to the GFs E-Class Mercedes...not a tall order now is it?

Thanks again

-
Back