Chrome fuel pump clearance issues.

-

rob_robinson87

Reaction score
I've installed this chrome fuel pump and from what I can tell, it is functioning as it should. Here is the problem, the round case on the fuel pump touches a round casting area that sticks out the front of the passenger side block. I feel as though I'm getting heat soak out of the block into the fuel pump. Does anyone know if this area is thick enough to file or grind down to get some air between the block and the pump, or would it be better to find a smaller diameter pump? The car is a 416 stroker running a 750 Edelbrock with their spacer. I can still hear the fuel boil in the fuel filter when the car gets to running temperature. When it gets hot, the fuel pressure gauge jumps all over the place like it is trying to read vaporized fuel.

I don't think I would do that personally, especially since I prefer electric pumps.

I had the same problem with my 340. I used an angle grinder and ground it to within about 1/16" of flush with the block with no problems.

A chrome one, huh? What brand? Output? Or does the chrome over-ride a pump that works?

Look at the link in the original post. That will show you the pump. Very similar to other high output pumps.

-
Back