Chrysler "Build Sheets"

-

Fred Fisch

FischFace66
Reaction score
I find these old "Build Sheets" very interesting but want to first say that I am no expert at all. I have studied them a bit on-line but have only seen one-- mine. You can see it at my member photo gallery Fred Fisch's "1966 Plymouth Barracuda 273."
This is probably obvious for most enthusiasts but for newbies or those of us who take a while to figure things out, I am not talking about the window sticker that we all see in more modern times. This is called the "Chrysler Corp Car Production Broadcast" report. Many are found under the rear seat folded and tucked up into the springs. That is where I found mine in 2012, 46 years after the car was delivered. It looked more like something that went with the seat than the vehicle, and I had to really look up there twice to even notice it due to it being folded so small. It came out in very delicate condition, with a few key scraps falling away that had to be retrieved and reapplied to the original. I think that lot of these will have the marks of the seat springs, just like mine. That is a sign of authenticity.

If you do not have the Build Sheet from your Mopar, look up under your back seat. If you find or have yours and it matches to your vehicle (I have read anecdotally that not all of the Build Sheets were placed into the correct vehicle), take a close look. The Build Sheet could identify important notations that help to explain your vehicle's history. For instance, my Barracuda delivered in Montana had the factory undercoating option. I think this fact, plus a lot of early California living, explains why my A-body never rusted and remains original. There is a lot of stuff on there that I have had a hard time understanding, but I enjoy continuing to look at this late-found artifact and learn more about my vehicle. It also adds to the lore and certainly the value of your Mopar.
Let's get a discussion going on these Build Sheets, as I would surely like to learn more.
FischFace

Fred the Broadcast sheets where different through the years and the early ones such as yours and mine don't have a lot of information about them. 69- up certainly do, but they are also the easiest to understand.
I will add more to this conversation later as I have to run now. ...

They can be found in numerous places.
In the headliner
Any seat
Above the glovebox liner
Inside the console housing
Under the carpet
Under the package tray
Behind the firewall insulation

I have found them in all these places

I've even seen remnants of one between the front bumper bracket and frame rail.

Hi Fred...nice looking early Barracuda. I see you live in Clifton, VA., which is not far from where I live in Front Royal, VA. I own a couple of early Barracudas too.

I looked at the build sheet for your car and found a couple of interesting things that you may or may not have known.

Your car was built/ordered with: ("000" means found on build sheet)

Heavy Duty torsion bars-- "892" and "893" on buildsheet (same as Formula S)
Heavy Duty rear springs-- "804"

I find it interesting that your car had Heavy Duty bars/springs but did not have a "368" Rallye or HD suspension package.
Your car was built without a sway bar and came with standard duty F&R shocks. "45/00".

Seems kinda odd, but in 66, a person could order a new car with most anything you wanted.

I have a partially fragmented build sheet for my 67 Barracuda. It was also ordered with heavy duty suspension with sway bar "deleted". It was not a Formula S, but it had a 273 Commando V8 and disk brakes, also manual steering, manual brakes, bench seat and column shift auto. It was a built-to-order car.

broadcast-jpg.1714794331

Hi Fred...nice looking early Barracuda. I see you live in Clifton, VA., which is not far from where I live in Front Royal, VA. I own a couple of early Barracudas too.

I looked at the build sheet for your car and found a couple of interesting things that you may or may not have known.

Your car was built/ordered with: ("000" means found on build sheet)

Heavy Duty torsion bars-- "892" and "893" on buildsheet (same as Formula S)
Heavy Duty rear springs-- "804"

I find it interesting that your car had Heavy Duty bars/springs but did not have a "368" Rallye or HD suspension package.
Your car was built without a sway bar and came with standard duty F&R shocks. "45/00".

Seems kinda odd, but in 66, a person could order a new car with most anything you wanted.

View attachment Broadcast.jpg

Last edited:
Another interesting car build....I see your car did not have the California required Clean Air Package "471" installed. Do you know where the car was originally purchased?
Also, did your car come with the 7 1/4" rear from the factory?
Thanks, Pat

Thanks everyone for posting to this. I did not know about the heavy duty springs or the Formula S torsion bars. The springs, however, were not heavy enough, because when I was loaded down in 1978 coming into Winslow, Arizona (such a fine sight to see) with a heavy Snap-on tool box, all my belongings and a 175 Honda strapped to the rear, the differential was about 1 1/2 inches off the ground. The Texaco guy sold me a new radiator cap and a set of rear "helper prings," which I only removed about two years ago. My vehicle also was sold with 13" wheels, which surprised me. It was also a very late model 1966, so they were probably using everything up in Hammatrak (or whatever that place is called) that they could before the 67s came out.
To answer another question, yes, even though it was purchased in Montana, the Barracuda did have a California emissions package on it. I vaguely recall it as some kind of a metal box with a lot of wires. My brother removed that stuff before I pruchased the car and took it to Colorado in 1978. None of it was saved, but who would want it? Regards, FischFace

Another interesting car build....I see your car did not have the California required Clean Air Package "471" installed. Do you know where the car was originally purchased?
Also, did your car come with the 7 1/4" rear from the factory?
Thanks, Pat

My car was sold by a dealer in Troutdale, Oregon to a customer in Longview, Washington. So no CA package. My father, who lived in Portland, bought it from the original owner in 1977. Yes, it did have a 7.25. I couldn't get it to stop leaking through the bearing seals so I eventually replaced it with an 8.75.

some cars had more than one ....I just found another one in my car that I didn't notice before because it was in the seat back and the back is covered by a metal cover because its a fold down rear seat in a coronet wagon.

this makes three mostly complete sheets to the same car and a fourth one was under the carpet and only a fragment so who knows if it was to this car or not but three completes with the same vin number is more than I have ever seen before. Especially for a bare bones wagon.

Attachments

• 20150216_192118.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 238
The "build codes" are actually the last digits of the part or assembly number.
Torsion bar 892 and 893 actually refer to part numbers 2535892 and 2535893.
Distributor - 35 = tag number 2642234
Rad 30 = 2582930
Wheel cover 50 - 2781550

-
Back