Cigarette lighter removal

-

The Barracuda

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the instrument cluster on my 69 Barracuda but I'm stuck on the cigarette lighter. I can't get it out without damaging anything as I don't know how it's supposed to be removed properly. I can barely get my hand in under the dash and between all the wires (this damn car wasn't built in Hamtranck, it was built by smurfs!) and I'm too big to maneuver myself to see up there. I assume I either have to rotate the base and pull it out or push it out towards me but I don't want to damage anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

some i have seen has a large threaded barrel that screws on over the lighter case. Unscrew from the back and pull it out if they are the same type. Good luck.
Small Block

what small block said, pull the lighter out, stick your finger in so when you are unscrewing it from the back it doesn't want to spin. Remember to turn it "backwards" if you are unscrewing from the front.

I would take the ash tray housing/bracket out of the dash first. Unscrew the four screw (I think that's how many) at the top and bottom. Push the housing back and turn it to the side. Unplug the wire off the cigar lighter. At this time you should be able to negotiate the bracket out either sideways or by turning it back and out the bottom.

-
Back