Classic Auto Air update 4/5/2024

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Third times a charm?
We’ll see.
First install was diagnosed by CAA as a stuck expansion valve.
They sent a new valve, so I had to pull the unit under the dash to change the valve.

After more gauge readings and jumpering the pressure switch, they determined the compressor was bad.

They sent a new compressor and everything is back together, vacuumed down and waiting for 134a.
A friend who is licensed and runs a HVAC company is coming over in a bit with a bottle of refrigerant and scale to fill the system.
I could do it myself, but I don’t want to give CAA any excuses to not fulfill their warranty obligations.

The other day I made a panel for the three control knobs to replace the old slide control assembly.
I ordered real carbon fiber once I was satisfied with the results, so I’ll be making another one when that gets here.

These knobs were solid black with no reasonably visible at a glance of their position, so I lightly touched them in the drill press to put the dots on them.

All set and ready to go.

IMG_5370.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5363.jpeg

This is why I just love factory stuff. When I finally got around to fixing the heat and air on Gladys, my Ford truck, I did replace the expansion valve and drier and the bad AC relay under the dash and also a new heater core. Everything else, including compressor was original to her 1975 trip down the assembly line and it all works perfect. Although I will say the compressor was VERY loud at first, it did quiet down a lot. It's still a little noisy but this is the third season it's still working after conversion. I swear, I think you could find one of these York compressors layin on the GROUND in a junk yard, put it on charge it up and it'd work. Good luck man. I hope you get it fixed.

Thanks for documenting your install --- been following along. It's good to know the customer support has been as good as it's been.

Thanks for documenting your install --- been following along. It's good to know the customer support has been as good as it's been.

Thanks.
I did video and pics both and have a YouTube channel, but who knows when I’ll actually get it together.

Mopars4us on YouTube

-
Back