Classic car alarm systems?

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
Yesterday, I walked out of the house only to find a truck backing its enclosed trailer up to the front of the Duster.
When they saw me they stopped and immediately drove away.

So I am looking for suggestions on a alarm system for a classic car. Preferably one that will interface with a smart phone

Mopars rarely get stolen. We always have them apart not running with the tires off. Glad they didn't get it. I'd move it indoors from now on.

I had just pulled it out of the garage and parked it next to the sidewalk in my yard. Went inside to do something (most likely pee) when I walked outside I saw the truck stop and start backing the trailer to the car

Maybe I should look at LoJack

Does anyone have an alarm on their cars?

The thing is if they want it they're gonna get it. Best bet is to park it inside but still thats not very safe unless you have an attached garage.

My 70 Charger had an alarm in it when I got it in the late 70s. Original owner (Travis Jarmin) was an engineer for NASA and had a mobile phone in it. I assume it was to protect that phone....

Mopars rarely get stolen. We always have them apart not running with the tires off. Glad they didn't get it. I'd move it indoors from now on.
Wish I could say that. The blue cuda in my avatar got stolen right out of the driveway at my friends house while he was sitting inside the house eating dinner. He heard it start up and it was gone. No the key was not in it. Doesn't take much to hot wire an old car.

Yesterday, I walked out of the house only to find a truck backing its enclosed trailer up to the front of the Duster.
When they saw me they stopped and immediately drove away.

So I am looking for suggestions on a alarm system for a classic car. Preferably one that will interface with a smart phone

What a bunch of cunts. ******* hate thieves. My suggestion; viper alarms can connect to your phone, and they go off real easy. Id also make sure you have theft coverage

I have a bettery kill switch in my trunk which i turn off when the car is going to be parked more than 10 minutes. However, that won't work if someone is going to load it onto a trailer..

Can’t help with the security system. My thoughts are what’s the odds of someone just driving by with a trailer. Sounds like someone has been scouting to find an opportunity. I would definitely be talking to law enforcement. Sounds like you got lucky.

If you are going to install an alarm, look at these first. You can add options like glass breakage and jacking/towing and use your smart phone etc. Not as cheap, but I think you might need to get more serious as they will be back. You don't want a cheap system.

Viper - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Window Film and Tint | Vehicle Security | Keyless Entry

That said, an alarm system probably won't stop them once they figure out when you aren't around. Backing into a driveway with a trailer is very ballsy... These guys are pretty serious and want your car. This wasn't a crime of opportunity. An alarm will make some kid trying to steal your radio run away, but not these guys.

You might want to look at other alternatives to make it more difficult for these guys to steal.

Need an anchor point cemented into a pier/pile in driveway.big big chain and padlock around rear diff. A royal pain in the ***, but consider what happens if its stolen.
You are very fortunate you saw them,too bad you couldnt get a plate or id the purps.

There’s a truck touring around here scoping for snowmobiles,my old buddy has seen it a couple times. Positive its someone up to no good, as they take off if someone spots them.

Locks and alarms only deter honest people. It's not like the hood is locked where you can't cut a cable and kill the alarm. Battery operated tools have made it where chains and locks are not that effective. Move the car, park another vehicle in front of it and limit access.

Whats the chances it was just coincidence? Mayve they were trying to turn around? An alarm or locks is only made to keep honest people out, if they want it bad enough they will get it

I keep all my stuff locked in either the attached garage or shop, that being said Texas has some of the best gun laws on the books protecting home owners. Down here you can be shot on site for stepping foot on a mans property, but you better have a damn good reason for doing that. I would say, if it was maybe hooked up to a winch being pulled into the trailer would constitute a good probable cause.

Whats the chances it was just coincidence? Mayve they were trying to turn around? An alarm or locks is only made to keep honest people out, if they want it bad enough they will get it
They stopped in the middle of the street. Truck and trailer were probably over 30 feet long. Would you try to turn around that rig in the middle of the block?

I bought and installed a Viper 3100 alarm system It seems to be a nice unit, not very expensive and ALMOST all the features operate.

But BE AWARE/WARY The KEYLESS ENTRY FEATURES DO NOT WORK ON 12 VDC DOOR ACTUATORS.
Before buying a keyless entry system make sure that the unit outputs +/- 12VDC. All the ones I found output a +/- 5 VDC signal

Also VIPER will not provide tech support to a DIYer. They will only deal with their authorized dealers.
So what if I have been an Electrical Engineer for over 40 years, I should let some kid with only a high school education (making minimum wage) work on my car

I bought and installed a Viper 3100 alarm system It seems to be a nice unit, not very expensive and ALMOST all the features operate.

But BE AWARE/WARY The KEYLESS ENTRY FEATURES DO NOT WORK ON 12 VDC DOOR ACTUATORS.
Before buying a keyless entry system make sure that the unit outputs +/- 12VDC. All the ones I found output a +/- 5 VDC signal
All aftermarket alarm/remote starters require the use of relays to operate the 12v door lock systems. Pretty clear in the install manual.

I had 2 ignition kills hidden in my 69 charger years ago along w a silent alarm w a pager. One ignition kill went to the ballast, the other went to the the coil feed wire. Had them both strategically hidden right in plain sight sorta.

All aftermarket alarm/remote starters require the use of relays to operate the 12v door lock systems. Pretty clear in the install manual.

The unit will not operate a 12 VDC actuator Viper does not make one

-
Back