cleaning after corrosive ammo

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
It has been several years since I have fired/cleaned my M1 Garand. I have thousands of rounds of Korean ammo for it that I bought when we lived in AZ. Any suggestions on cleaning solutions?? I kind of remember someone telliing me to run a few patches with Windex on them down the barrel right after shooting, followed by a few drying patches and then some oil and then just clean normally when you get home, but that just don't sound right.

when ever I use corrosive ammo, I fire a few rounds of modern non corrosive ammo through it when I am finished shooting for the day, then clean it really good when I get home, and I have never had a problem

First do an online search to find out if that ammo you have is in fact corrosive. I seem to remember that all of the KA head stamped stuff is, much of the PS stamped stuff is not. Immediately after shooting run some Windex down the tube, then at home strip it down.Make sure that you clean the op rod, gas cylinder, bolt, and receiver too. The primers are what is corrosive so whatever got firing residue on it should be cleaned, not just the barrel.

-
Back