Cleaning Alloy Heads

-

douglas340

Reaction score
Hello All
I have a set of alloy heads that I need to clean, There is scale build up in the water jackets and they have old head gasket residue on them.
What is the best way to get rid of the scale??, And what`s the best way to clean up the the old gasket residue of without scratching the alloy??.
Cheers Doug

011-4.jpg

029-2.jpg

Best thing I've ever found for cleaning aluminum is Easy-Off oven cleaner, but be warned that it doesn't stop cleaning if it isn't flushed off. A friend bought some cheap version and it didn't work as well, was still acceptable. Might be best though, to leave this one alone, because it just don't seem to be that bad.

Best thing I've ever found for cleaning aluminum is Easy-Off oven cleaner, but be warned that it doesn't stop cleaning if it isn't flushed off. A friend bought some cheap version and it didn't work as well, was still acceptable. Might be best though, to leave this one alone, because it just don't seem to be that bad.

Hi Doug
I agree with the above, here in OZ it's Mr Muscle. Prepsol should remove the gasket residue but it dosn't look that bad.

Been watching your 340 build & looks great.

Cheers

Hello Karl, I might try prepsol first if that dont work I will have a go with the oven cleaner & toothbrush.

Use Evans coolant, no more build up.

Thanks mate, I brought the heads like that.......I was a bit surprised to see the build up of scale in them, The previous owner must not have run coolant in them?? I was just trying to find out the best way to clean them.

Thanks mate, I brought the heads like that.......I was a bit surprised to see the build up of scale in them, The previous owner must not have run coolant in them?? I was just trying to find out the best way to clean them.

The only real/complete way to clean them is to take them to a machine shop and have them hot tanked. If you haven't put any coolant/antifreeze in your motor yet, use Evans coolant. It's a waterless based coolant (means no rust) has a greater temp range and its a lifetime coolant. This is the same coolant you'll find in NASCAR racers.
Here's their website
http://www.evanscooling.com/

Disassemble, Glass bead then hot tank. They will look new without chemicals. The bronze guides don't care for some of the chemicals. The glass beads must be new with no abrasive dirt or they will dull out.

-
Back