Cleaning Hyd Roller Lifters

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Rebuilding a 318 mag for 10 psi of turbo boost and I'm having problems disassembling the stock lifters. The clip and pushrod cup comes out but the valve and spring are completely stuck on all but one lifter. Even after relieving the pressure with a scribe poking the ball valve. What can I possibly be doing wrong??

Seen this yet?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YzY_FBz6A"]How To Clean Hydraulic Roller Lifters - YouTube[/ame]

I haven't , thank you! I must not have been applying enough air to the valve to pop it out . I'll give this a try!

Why not replace em'? These engines are high mileage, my Magnum at 190k is clickin' and tickin', wishin' I would have done it when I had it apart. Another way to clean lifters is substituting a quart of dex/merc ATF at oil change.

The replacements are like $90 shipped from rockauto. Especially since your gonna be stressing them out, beating them with boost. New oil pump too!

Bought a new oil pump. The stock lifters look ok but I didn't think of replacing them since I was cleaning them. A turbo cam is actually pretty mild, .490 lift and 218/218 dur @ .050 with 115 LSA

$90 for lifters is cheap though!

Definetly. It's not the looks per se, its the springs inside them and the rubber that degrades over billions of revolutions. Like I said, I wish I had done them, they aren't bad now, I gotta pull the intake though. Lame.

I didn't realize there was rubber in these lifters. Motor had unknown mileage and likely ran low or out of oil . The rod bearings were shot. #5 came out in 3 pieces. So the lifters may have been in trouble too.

Buy yourself a new set of lifters if you insist on staying with the hydraulic roller...This is speaking from experience- cleaning a used set ain't gonna do ****

Also speaking from experience, stay the hell away from a hydraulic roller in an sbm with anything more then a stock build...If that turbo is going to make any power or rpm on that motor, either go solid or atleast solid shimmed hydraulic roller lifters, but even then I would just skip to a solid setup and make more power

Just my .02 cents

I won't be lacking any power. I wanted a roller block because I'm using fuel injection with mega squirt and didn't want to try and break in a cam w / my first attempt at MS fuel injection and a carb break in is a pain. Solids are cool but I won't be making any power above 5500 or so. Turbos are quite a different breed than their NA friends.

-
Back