cleaning intake/heads?

-

danmc77

Reaction score
I just bought a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads. The guy I bought them from painted the intake surface, and the front and back of the heads. I want to remove the paint. What can I use to remove and not damage or scratch a set of aluminum heads?

Also, I want to clean my aluminum intake while I'm at it - what can I use to clean up an intake short of blasting it?

I just bought a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads. The guy I bought them from painted the intake surface, and the front and back of the heads. I want to remove the paint. What can I use to remove and not damage or scratch a set of aluminum heads?

Also, I want to clean my aluminum intake while I'm at it - what can I use to clean up an intake short of blasting it?

Parts washer solvent will remove paint pretty easily.

Edelbrock recommends stuff called Oxi Solv for intakes.

If the surface is machined/smooth, try some lacquer thinner. Maybe heat it up a bit.

I usually bead blast my intakes. I try to not blast the underside or into the ports. That's just me...

Is there any solvent that will damage the aluminum that I should stay away from? I don;t want it to get discolored. Thanks guys.

Parts washer solvent will remove paint pretty easily.

Edelbrock recommends stuff called Oxi Solv for intakes.
I did a quick read on their Ebay listing - this product etches the metal and leaves zinc phosphate coating to prevent rust. Can you see that coating, or is it clear? I always thought that the phosphate left a powdery-white like coating.

blurb from Edelbrock theyselves:

Edelbrock Tech Tip:
Cleaning Your Edelbrock Aluminum Intake Manifold
cln_sample.jpg
While networking with consumers at shows and events, we learn a lot about our customer and what they want from Edelbrock. The old adage, "necessity is the mother of invention" is very true in most cases. This leads us to the question that has incited us to write this Edelbrock Tech Tip feature, "How do you recommend I clean my Edelbrock intake manifold"? Edelbrock intake manifolds are manufactured from a sand cast process utilizing 808 aluminum alloy and have an as-cast wheel-a-brated finish. As-cast is defined as a raw aluminum finish without any protective coating. As-cast aluminum is porous and can absorb under-hood chemicals such as dirt, grease and fuel, resulting in discoloration, rust, or staining. All Edelbrock intake manifolds are as-cast unless offered in our high-luster EnduraShine™ or PermaStar® coated finishes.
Once a porous aluminum finish is stained, it can be very difficult to find an environmentally safe cleaner that will actually extract the blemish from the pores of the aluminum. In our research in finding a safe and effective alternative, Edelbrock has found an aluminum cleaner option that can work effectively, OxiSolv Aluminum Cleaner. It is important to follow OxiSolv's instructions to prevent damage to other parts on your engine.
Manufactured by Daubert Cromwell, a manufacturer of industrial and commercial cleaning products, Evapo-Rust is effective for use in cleaning our as-cast aluminum intake manifolds, cylinder heads, and water-pumps when used as directed. Edelbrock does not sell Evapo-Rust, however you can call for assistance at 800-535-3535 or send an email to [email protected].

Is there any solvent that will damage the aluminum that I should stay away from? I don;t want it to get discolored. Thanks guys.

I think some of the strippers might be lye based (you can strip paint with red devil lye, oven cleaner. etc.) but lye will eat away at the aluminum.

ok but where the f_ do you buy this oxisolv, web search turns up nothing

Soda blasting, once it hits the surface it turns into dust unlike sandblasting which I do not advise on a intake.

ok but where the f_ do you buy this oxisolv, web search turns up nothing

Found an article about cleaning your boat's pontoons that mentions it several times. The link doesn't work ... but the boat place's phone number might! Here you go

http://boatsupplies.com/Pontoon%20Center/How%20To%20Hints/topics/clean.htm

Even if you find the stuff, how often are you really going to want to do this? Might get it clean as a whistle but it's not going to stay that way for long.

Even if you find the stuff, how often are you really going to want to do this? Might get it clean as a whistle but it's not going to stay that way for long.

I'd like to get it real clean just once before installing.
Is that another self plug btw? :toothy9: let me look at those prices again...

LOL!!! Actually it wasn't (but I see now how it might look that way). Nahhh, seriously, keeping your intake clean has been a never-ending ordeal for hot rodders the world over for a long time. I found it interesting that Edelbrock would openly endorse anything except their own patented finishes.

You might try checking with an automatic transmission shop. Don't know how they do things now but back in the day in shop class we had a 55 gallon drum with some stuff sort of like carb cleaner that we dipped automatic transmission cases in to clean them. Just a thought.

-
Back