Cleaning out Duster Cowl Vents...

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
On my duster theres a bunch of leaves, pine needles and crap down in the cowl vents. (in front of the windsheild.) Now on my b'cuda i can pop the little screens out and get in there. The Duster its part of the body.

How can i clean it out?!

Thanks! :book:

Goody, that's a very good question. One of the best ways I've found is to take an air hose with blower nozzle, and a shop vac. Put the air to it all across while keeping the suction hose of the shop vac close to the vents. It's not perfect, and hopefully someone will have a better method than mine that we can both try. :thumblef:

OldVart said:
Goody, that's a very good question. One of the best ways I've found is to take an air hose with blower nozzle, and a shop vac. Put the air to it all across while keeping the suction hose of the shop vac close to the vents. It's not perfect, and hopefully someone will have a better method than mine that we can both try. :thumblef:

That doesnt sound like too bad of an idea. Sure hope theres a way to get it out. that stuff likes to stay damp, and im sure RUST :wack:

Once you get the big stuff out, take a pressure washer to it and really give it hell. Also, make sure your drains aren't plugged with leaves and dirt since that's a prime place for rust to start.

Mike,
Take a look at this post from "slantsix.org" some time ago. http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13106&highlight=cowl
I added some pics to explain where the drains are that get clogged up with debris, causing leaks into the cab. An air line, as stated above, is a good way to get the bulk of the trash loosened up and flying about, so you can vacuum it up. However, I was amazed at the amount of junk that accumulates over 30 years, if not routinely cleaned out. These drains will get packed with leaves, stems, acorns, etc., until they look like birds were nesting in your cowl. I used needle-nose pliers, bent wires, and an air nozzle to clear them out. If you flush with water, you might want to use a gentle stream, not a high pressure blast. Look at the picture showing the fresh air inlet into your dash. It's not a very tall lip that water has to wash over, before it enters your air box.

Jerry

I get my butt planted in the drivers seat after making the rounds to each door and opening the window including the tailgate. Open both fresh air vents. Put on safety glasses along with face shield. Then I drive to the nearest freeway onramp, and proceed to 85mph all whilst dodging weaving the flying debris flying out of the vents. And trying not to cry when the sharp pointy ones stick into my arms. Proceed to the next exit and turn around and repeat, till all clear and no more leaves etc...

Blowing them out with air is the best idea. And yes they will rot:sad2:

121204duster 021a.jpg

64dartwagon, that's my preferred method also, but I didn't want to contribute to corrupting the moral fibre of a young guy like Goody by suggesting such action. :roll:

OldVart said:
64dartwagon, that's my preferred method also, but I didn't want to contribute to corrupting the moral fibre of a young guy like Goody by suggesting such action. :roll:

drive.gif
:thumblef:

-
Back