Cleaning tank? When is it safe?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I have my tank out, and i took out all the gas. From my understanding the fumes are what makes it dangerous. What do I need to do to make the tank safe so it don't blow up? Say, safe enough to use as a big ash tray! :)

Will the garbage dudes even take this?

First, take the sending unit out and plug the filler neck hole. Then, take your garden hose with a sprayer and hose the thing out through the sending unit hole. Dump all of the water out and let it dry. It should be good to throw out, but I doubt the garbage man will take it. Drop it off at your local scrap yard, they probably have a pile of them. Is it too wasted to re-use?? If it doesn't leak, it can be cleaned and resealed using the Eastwood gas tank kit, or just cleaned out using muriatic acid from the hardware store if it's just rusty inside. I have cleaned and re-used many tanks over the years using these 2 methods. Good luck with your project. Geof

I have even heard of thowing a chain about a foot or two long in the tank when you clean it to help remove any crap stuck to the inside

I have even heard of thowing a chain about a foot or two long in the tank when you clean it to help remove any crap stuck to the inside
have done it more times than I care to remember and it actually works. used to do this to junkyard tanks that we would buy, this was back in the day before they started punching holes in the tanks to keep them from being reused...

-
Back