Cleaning your engine compartment?

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to post this. We recently finished my Demon, Body and Paint. Now the question I have is what is the best way to clean the engine compartment? It is mainly body dust and very light grime nothing major just hard to reach. I already blew out as much as I could with air, now back in the old days I would pull into the local quarter car wash and let her rip. Now with close to 50 year wiring that's not an option. I was thinking of using the foaming degreaser or something like that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Hope this is the right place to post this. We recently finished my Demon, Body and Paint. Now the question I have is what is the best way to clean the engine compartment? It is mainly body dust and very light grime nothing major just hard to reach. I already blew out as much as I could with air, now back in the old days I would pull into the local quarter car wash and let her rip. Now with close to 50 year wiring that's not an option. I was thinking of using the foaming degreaser or something like that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!

Hate to say it but you're gonna have to do it by hand.....

Jeff

Foaming degreaser. And a garden hose on a light mist. Maybe use the spray option on spots you know can take the pressure. Then some elbow grease.

I should make the disclaimer that I do it that way because a lot of my wire is loomed and heat shrinked. Obviously the condition of your wiring determines what you can do. But a light mist with degreaser really breaks stuff up well I find.

I should make the disclaimer that I do it that way because a lot of my wire is loomed and heat shrinked. Obviously the condition of your wiring determines what you can do. But a light mist with degreaser really breaks stuff up well I find.

Thanks!

run engine to get her warm but not hot.
pull battery
spray simple green on everything and scrub with a soft bristled nylon brush
rinse with HOSE PRESSURE only
dry everything by blowing with a small electric leaf blower or shop vac.
warm engine up again.
coat EVERYTHING but belts and air filter with WD40. Fender to fender, firewall to radiator
let creep into everything, then wipe/polish off excess as needed.

thats the method I have used to clean/degrease everything from tank hulls/engines, to dirtbikes and boats.

thats the method I have used to clean/degrease everything from tank hulls/engines, to dirtbikes and boats.

Thanks for the info, as soon as the rain stops for a day or so I can get to work on it.

Thanks for the info, as soon as the rain stops for a day or so I can get to work on it.
My wife just checked. It has been cloudy/rainy for 10 days straight! The sun just popped out in South Jersey. I got some underhood work to do too.

-
Back