clear

-
Dupont 72400 Ultra-Premier clearcoat
PPG 4000 clearcoat
I have never used House of colors so I cannot elaborate. I think that applying more than 2-3 coats at a time could be disasterous. Solvent pop would ruin a paint job. This is where the solvents are trapped below too many coats of clear and cannot evaporate. On multi layer paint jobs I usually apply 2 coats and let dry overnight, wetsand and apply 2 more coats. Additional coats as needed to hide lines from tape. Another trick I use after applying 2 coats of clear is to overreduce 50% and apply 3rd and last coat. This will allow clear to flow out and look like glass!

Sorry for the run but I get into explainations.

O', be sure to follow correct procedures for flash times between coats according to the system you choose and wear proper safety equipment such as respirators and full suits when using isosionates. No skin should be exposed for this stuff to absorb into!!!!! Its really Bad stuff!!!

Hands down House of Color, you can reapply more at anytime, I was told it's one of the only clears that you can do that with.

Most Clearcoats can be re-coated as long as you follow manufacturers specs. Always get a P Sheet when buying any clear so you can follow the instructions for that product. Most are available at any place that sells the brand of clear you are using. Another source of info is the internet. You usually can find the P (product) sheet there as well.

I would caution the use of more coats than recommended by the manufacturer. You can run into a whole laundry list of problems doing that, one being too much product causing solvent pop and de-lamination.

Dupont 72400 Ultra-Premier clearcoat
PPG 4000 clearcoat
I have never used House of colors so I cannot elaborate. I think that applying more than 2-3 coats at a time could be disasterous. Solvent pop would ruin a paint job. This is where the solvents are trapped below too many coats of clear and cannot evaporate. On multi layer paint jobs I usually apply 2 coats and let dry overnight, wetsand and apply 2 more coats. Additional coats as needed to hide lines from tape. Another trick I use after applying 2 coats of clear is to overreduce 50% and apply 3rd and last coat. This will allow clear to flow out and look like glass!

Sorry for the run but I get into explainations.

O', be sure to follow correct procedures for flash times between coats according to the system you choose and wear proper safety equipment such as respirators and full suits when using isosionates. No skin should be exposed for this stuff to absorb into!!!!! Its really Bad stuff!!!

I agree with you here although I think the 50% overreduce could be debated (friendly of course). This could effect the UV properties of the clear and may, in some cases, cause de-lamination because of the watered down adhesion in the clear - my opinion.

I agree with you here although I think the 50% overreduce could be debated (friendly of course). This could effect the UV properties of the clear and may, in some cases, cause de-lamination because of the watered down adhesion in the clear - my opinion.

?Hmm?,
Hasn't happened yet. I have been painting since the Laquer days. I have done this with Laquer, Enamel and the Urethanes. Again, this is something that I have done and works well. In production I have delivered vehicles without having to touch them with a buffer. Never had a recheck unless it was Bad product. No pun taken, just a little added information.:-D

?Hmm?,
Hasn't happened yet. I have been painting since the Laquer days. I have done this with Laquer, Enamel and the Urethanes. Again, this is something that I have done and works well. In production I have delivered vehicles without having to touch them with a buffer. Never had a recheck unless it was Bad product. No pun taken, just a little added information.:-D

No argument from me, if it works for you go for it.

I have been using ppg's 2002 clear for a long time but miss the days of 2001 :)

Hope you don't say that too often!!:-D

I agree with the over reduction on the last coat. It really makes it flow out well, but you have to adjust your speed to prevent runs.

Dave

Lol!!
You got me!:bootysha:

I'll agree with the DuPont suggestion. It's the only clear coat I have used that didn't orange peel. In fact, couldn't do it if I had to.

Great stuff. And expensive stuff.

Ken

1 Glasurit 2 sikkens 3 herberts 4 cromaclear.
These are the clears that i use and never had orange peel problems. It's all on how you lay it down.

Paint is a crazy subject as everyone has their own opinion as to what lasts and what does not.

thats what we use...

but why not use a single stage?? unless metallic the single will hold up better

I disagree! Friendly of course. Single-stage will never be as good as base/clear. Single-stage WILL fade as quick as 2 years if out in the elements.

I'll agree with the DuPont suggestion. It's the only clear coat I have used that didn't orange peel. In fact, couldn't do it if I had to.

Great stuff. And expensive stuff.

Ken[/QUOTE

Most orange peel problems are due to gun set-up and air pressure. Sometimes it helps to get out an old panel and do a spray out to set up your gun before starting to paint unless you paint a lot and use the same clear/paint combination. My 2 cents

-
Back