Clearwater Cylinder Head?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Anybody have experience buying cylinder heads from this company? I recently took a pair of junkyard 318 #302 heads to a local machine shop and they turned out to be cracked, so instead of wasting my time looking for another junkyard pair that are probably also cracked I'm thinking of just getting a "new" pair from these guys off eBay. Seems like a good deal, $155 per head (assembled, includes 3-angle valve job and other machine work) plus $25 shipping. Ends up being cheaper than machine work would've been on a pair of junkyard heads anyway...

Anybody have experience buying cylinder heads from this company? I recently took a pair of junkyard 318 #302 heads to a local machine shop and they turned out to be cracked, so instead of wasting my time looking for another junkyard pair that are probably also cracked I'm thinking of just getting a "new" pair from these guys off eBay. Seems like a good deal, $155 per head (assembled, includes 3-angle valve job and other machine work) plus $25 shipping. Ends up being cheaper than machine work would've been on a pair of junkyard heads anyway...

Check out Indy cylinder head they have a great price on cast heads and you can add extras to fit your budget. I bought my cam from them and had them put the proper springs in. I saved a lot dealing with them.

I bought a Jeep 4.0 head modified to work on my AMC 4.2 EFI conversion. I built the engine about 2 years ago. Quality of the work on the head looked good, but I haven't gotten around to installing the engine yet. After I bought the head I talked to Benny at HESCO (They engineered the 4.2 Jeep EFI conversion kit for Mopar) & he said he'd heard a lot of "horror stories" about Clearwater's stuff. Mainly valve stem heights not equal. I checked mine with a straight edge & the installed heights were fine.

Guess you can use this info however you see fit.

If those are the Engine Quest heads, which I think they are, my machinist told me he used some and thy were really well made heads. They were the magnum version and he said they looked beefier than stock magnum heads.

It says "reman" in the description so I doubt they're new castings. The item number is 160313000239 if any of you want to take a look. Honestly for me right now I don't really have another option unless these heads are a crapshoot. My original heads are pretty fo'd up and a junkyard raid is probably going to just get me another pair of cracked #302s.

-
Back