Clicking sound

-
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted here. I just got my dart running again and noticed a clicking sound comming from the engine. My dad (who knows a lot more then I do) said that it was probibly the lifters and that they might need to be adjusted. I just wanted to get the opinion of you guys on here on what it could be and if it is just the lifters is it ok to drive without causing damage? Thanks.

My dad (who knows a lot more then I do) said that it was probibly the lifters and that they might need to be adjusted.

That is an easy theory to prove . Pop off the valve cover, and measure the lash. You will find one of two conditions; spot on, or gaps need to be adjusted. Factory setting: intake 0.010”, exhaust 0.012” with engine at operating temperature.

When checking gap remember the first three cylinders intake & exhaust valves are positioned E-I, E-I, E-I. The last three cylinder’s valves are I-E, I-E, I-E.

Is it a slant 6?

If so get used to it
Wow way to be totally unhelpful.

Slant Six's need a proper valve adjustment every so often or they will make all kinds of noise but a properly adjusted one will be quiet and purr like a kitten.

Like the previous poster said just pop the valve cover off and check its very easy to adjust the valves on a /6.

Your dad sounds like he knows what hes doing .. btw i aint seen a slant that didnt need some tuneing lol what the guys said up top there ur took care of bud

That is an easy theory to prove . Pop off the valve cover, and measure the lash. You will find one of two conditions; spot on, or gaps need to be adjusted. Factory setting: intake 0.010”, exhaust 0.012” with engine at operating temperature.

When checking gap remember the first three cylinders intake & exhaust valves are positioned E-I, E-I, E-I. The last three cylinder’s valves are I-E, I-E, I-E.

.010 and .020 with the engine at operating temp...

Remember you have to adjust the valves at full operating temp and while the engine is running. Slantsixdan has a good writeup over at slantsix.org that walks you through the process. The engine will run smoother, have more power and get better mileage if you're all out of whack right now.

But nobody really explained why.

Slant six engines have solid lifters instead of modern hydraulic lifters that use oil pressure to take up slack in the valvetrain.

Solid lifters require some "excess" clearance in the valvetrain to allow for valve growth when the engine gets hot. Otherwise, when the valves expanded, they would end up not able to close all the way and the engine would run poorly.

So, with the clearance adjusted in, they click. Shouldn't be excessively loud, but they aren't silent. later Slants did change to hydraulic lifters but that was around the early 80's.

The 'get used to it" guy above pretty much made a useless post but he's right, you will be getting used to it.

Air-cooled VW's and a lot of the older Japanese engines had solid lifters, incidently.

But nobody really explained why.

Slant six engines have solid lifters instead of modern hydraulic lifters that use oil pressure to take up slack in the valvetrain.

Solid lifters require some "excess" clearance in the valvetrain to allow for valve growth when the engine gets hot. Otherwise, when the valves expanded, they would end up not able to close all the way and the engine would run poorly.

So, with the clearance adjusted in, they click. Shouldn't be excessively loud, but they aren't silent. later Slants did change to hydraulic lifters but that was around the early 80's.

The 'get used to it" guy above pretty much made a useless post but he's right, you will be getting used to it.

Air-cooled VW's and a lot of the older Japanese engines had solid lifters, incidently.

With mine adjusted to the proper specs and at operating temp they never made any noise that I could hear over the carb or exhaust on my stock slant six a super six and glasspack.

I believe that honda still uses mechanical lash adjusters. And whether or not you like imports honda is an extremely good engine building company.

And yes they always tick and tap even when properly adjusted.

My 6 makes no audible lifter noise. and its 45 years old. Neither did my 57 Ford 312;s solid cam. Either I couldnt hear them or they just blend in with all the other noises a 45/55 year old engine makes. the slant is very picky on valve lash, get it correct and youll probably not hear them. Same as a Honda or even an older jap car. Many use solid lifters and tiny hydraulic tips in the rocker arm to take up lash. Ran the carb out of fuel so it died. First start was just before this but the camera ran out of memory, but it literally kicked over off the first cylinder with nothing but the choke actuated. nice motor, nicer carb
[ame="http://youtu.be/f9uU5G3rIkg"]first start[/ame]

-
Back