Clifford's big bucks.

-

TinyValiant74

Reaction score
Based on the experience of others for the past 5 years, I'd never, ever give Clifford ANY of my hard-earned dollars, directly at least. If I just HAD to have a set of their headers, I'd find a pair on ebay, but that's the exception.

Pretty much everything Clifford sells can be gotten elsewhere from better vendors (and usually cheaper). It just takes a little more legwork.

Just my .02.

VM

thanks,

vynn, I appreciate the update. I'm putting together a list of parts that I need for an engine rebuild and in the time it took me between starting this thread and responding now, I found cheaper, better parts than everything clifford has to offer for our leaning tower of power. Your're absoloutly right.

It all depends on what you want. I found a bunch of stuff on E-bay cylinder heads, Water pumps, power steering pumps, chrome evrything and a couple of slant six performance books.

but I also looked arround and found some great stuff from different providers. Like Comp cams has a great kit, for your engine, Timing gears and chains, lifters, a cam, stuff like that.
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...een=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Code=K64-240-4

heres some other stuff I found
the offenhauser mannifold.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_126872_-1

JC whitney has a lot of stuff.
Spark plugs, Dress up kits, water pumps, gaskets.

you get it. But hopefully i'll be able to steer clear of clifford and their super pricy products. I hope the links I found helped.

thanks,

vynn, I appreciate the update. I'm putting together a list of parts that I need for an engine rebuild and in the time it took me between starting this thread and responding now, I found cheaper, better parts than everything clifford has to offer for our leaning tower of power. Your're absoloutly right.

Glad you found what you needed.

It's too bad Clifford has gotten so bad. I hear Jack Clifford was a great guy and did a lot to promote inline sixes back when he was alive, and I wish we had a good "one-stop" shop for slant six parts...

Oh well, the slanted way is always the hard way! ;)

VM

what about the hyperpak?? anyone know where to secure one of these? can u even still get one...

I saw an original one at Carlisle, with the dual exhaust manifolds. The guy wanted $2,800 I think. That's the only original one I've ever seen. Does Doug Dutra make the reproduction ones anymore, or did he give everything to Clifford?

Clifford actually sells repro hyper-pack manifolds for about $300 I think but that means you need to deal with the clifford folks. When I dealt with them over the phone they were nice enough but if you order online without talking to anyone it's a crap shoot. If you want a hyper-pack then I think you would be best off calling clifford.

I'm curious if anyone knows how Cliffords replacement intake manifold works. It says it has a "water heated Passage" I guessing that it's purpose is to replace the exhaust manifolds heater box, so that you can use their headers. But my real question is, does the stock manifold have any kind of inlet for coolant or do you have to drill a hole in your block to let the coolant into the clifford manifold?

I'm curious if anyone knows how Cliffords replacement intake manifold works. It says it has a "water heated Passage" I guessing that it's purpose is to replace the exhaust manifolds heater box, so that you can use their headers. But my real question is, does the stock manifold have any kind of inlet for coolant or do you have to drill a hole in your block to let the coolant into the clifford manifold?

I think most folks just route a heater hose over to the manifold.

VM

The Clifford manifold has a water jacket in it that you plumb into a heater hose.

For anything less than a full-on race car or really hot street car, I would use an Offy intake and a 390 Holley. The Clifford gives up a lot of low end torque to the Offy.

The Hyper Pak is an impressive looking manifold, but it is a real beeotch to tune for street use. If you use one be prepared for performance that really changes with the weather.

Be very aware that Clifford does not stock many parts for the Slant. What they do is sell parts until they have enough for a run and then they get them made. Your credit card will be charged at the time of your order, you will be promised that they will ship next day, and you may not get them for 6 months.

Keep your eyes on E-bag and the classified section on the Mopar boards. Clifford and Offy intakes turn up all the time. I have never paid more than $150 for a Clifford, or $100 for an Offy. You just have to be patient.

-
Back