Closet Fit 8 3/4" Rear in 68' Dart

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Ok, got the engine and tranny squared, now need to focus finding a 8 3/4 Rear. I'm going to local salvage yard tomorrow, and wanted some advice on what would be the closest match. How much modification does a B Body rear take to fit into an A Body?

Also, how do Dodge Truck Rears hold up. If I find a Durango or Ram rear, would this be a good application?

Thanks....

Pat :blob:

Bolt pattern doesn't matter, new wheels are in the future. I'm looking to minimize machine work to the axles if possible.

B-body axle in the A-body:
Another alternative can be used to replace an existing 8-3/4" or the smaller 7-1/4" or 8-1/4" axles. An axle from a 66-70 B-body can be installed in the A-body (note: a 62-64 axle can be used, but it does not contain the flanged axles of the later units). The later sport coupe style cars, Duster, Demon, Dart Sport, have the roomiest fenderwells. The 67-76 sedan and hardtop models have less. The 60-66 appear to be the tightest fit. The A-body has a spring perch spacing of 43.0", the 66-70 B-body is 44.0". To mount the B-body axle on the A-body springs, the perches need to be removed and new ones welded in place 1/2" inward from the original location on each side. The B-body track width is greater than the A-body. This may be a concern depending on the wheel/tire combination. The wider track enhances handling and aesthetics to some degree. This has been performed on the author's 73 Duster, now equipped with 15x6.5" rallye wheels and P255/60R-15 tires with 11x2.5" brakes. Originally setup with 15x7" rallye wheels and P275/60R-15 tires will rolled fender lips. The larger tires exhibited scrubbing when loaded on dips/bumps. If replacing a 7-1/4" or 8-1/4" axle, the driveshaft must be changed as the axle centerline to yoke centerline is greater for the 8-3/4" (12.35" vs. 10.09" for 7-1/4" and 11.69" for 8-1/4"). If changing a 7-1/4" axle the shock plates and u-bolts/nuts must be changed to the larger units from an 8-3/4" car.

Or as seen here for more info, scroll close to the bottom of the page to find the info your looking for.

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

It may just be easier to have an 8-3/4 narrowed and custom axles made, It will cost anywhere from $400-$600 to have it done.

i got an early b dogie 83/4 to go right under a 74 duster . all i had to do was move the spring perches

-
Back