Clunk Noise

-

jar84203

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Plymouth Duster with a 225 and 904 and when I put the trans is gear (park or drive), there is a loud metallic clunk the the vehicle kinda jumps. I checked the u-joints and trans mount and they are all fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Pulled the driveshaft and the yoke on the end on the trans spins in neutral. Is this normal? Also the clunking noise went away.

The pinion yoke rotates, but does not move around in the bore. Is it possible the ring and pinion have too much backlash?

Checked the ring and pinion backlash today and it is within specs. If I rotate the driveshaft by hand I can hear the clunk, but much quieter, when I rotate it in the reverse direction. Both u joints are new, but the rear one seems to move just a hair. Possible problem with the pinion or u joint? Thanks.

Typical Chrysler Clunk. Mostly happens when shifting into reverse with foot on brake. It takes up all the slack in the rear end.
Try and see what happens if you shift into reverse with your foot OFF the brake.

I worked at a Chrysler dealership for many years and we repaired dozens of these complaints. Chrysler used to have a side gear shim pack available that would allow you to tighten up the slack between the diff case side gears and pinions. Swapping in thicker shims behind the side gears will take out the slack. You will never eliminate it but you can reduce its severity.

Also the driveshaft acts as an amplifier when the "clunk" is caused by shifting with your foot on the brake. We used to spray the shaft with undercoating to deaden the sound.

worked good!

pete

-
Back