Clunking noise passenger side

-

75dodgedart

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1975 Dodge Dart Custom 2 Door hardtop, Whenever I start to drive/reverse my right front passengers side makes a squirely/clunking noise. I had a mechanic take a look at it and he said the lower ball joint was messed up on the left drivers side, we replaced it, its making noise from the right front passenger tire, he checkd all bushings for play and can't find any play?? I am at a loss here and so Is the mechanic, is there a bushing that u cant detct from pull and jiggle test? When we align the tires they just seem to droop outward and not stay aligned and the right side makes that noise, tie rods replaced, still nothing? Any ideas? STRUT ROD BUSHINGS? LOWER AND UPPER BUSHING'S?

Thank you a fellow Young inspired Mopar,

When you first move forward or backwards, the pressure will attempt to turn the tire (toe). I would guess to check the strut rods. Any play here will allow them to clunk.

Grant

if you look hard, you can kinda see the lower bushings and if they are worn or even have the rubber missing.
Toasted lower bushings will make clunking kind of noise.

Actually, anything loose in the front end will make it clunk. I had a clunking problem and solved it when I did a complete rebuild. The upper control arm bushings on the passenger side were the culprit. I was doing a conversion from SBP drum to BBP disk at the time, so I don't consider the effort to be overkill on my part. As long as I had it apart, it made sense to me to do it all. Your situation is different.

You've pretty well covered most of the possibilities. # 1 Control Arm Bushings, # 2 Ball Joints, # 3 Control rod bushings, # 4 Wheel Bearings, # 5 Tie Rod Ends, # 6 Idler Arm, and # 7 Upper Control Arm Cam Bolts.

Sometimes a disk pad will clunk when going from forward to reverse. Check the caliper "ways" to see if everything is working properly.

Duh. Almost forgot the most obvious; loose wheel.

ok, So the clunking noise is solved, worn out upper control arm bushings, also replaced the lower control arm bushings, I am facing another problem, my car wont seem to hold a alignment, the lower control arm bolt wont seem to torque down it comes loose. As soon as we turned right the car's alignment went offset and all front left wheel has way too much camber, the tire squeals and continues to be chewed up. Any bolts that could be loose? Please note I am learning about all of this. pics r attached of what im talkin about. Thank you. MOPAR 4 Life

SprintPhoto_b13s1v.jpg

SprintPhoto_c23s1v.jpg

SprintPhoto_d23s1v.jpg

SprintPhoto_e23s1v.jpg

SprintPhoto_g23s1v.jpg

is it just me... or is the driver side caliper bracket bolt loose?
and is it just me....or is that drivers side outter tie rod not seated in the lower ball joint knuckle?

the lower control arm bolts do not look stock and seem to have 2 washers behind'em.

are you saying the lower arm king pin bolt won't tighten?

are the nuts the right thread?

the other thing messed up is that the lower arm [ride height adjusters] need to be seated square 'so to speak' in the arm, you seem to have them slid to one side a lil.

The nut was stripped on the lower king pin bolt. So we matched one up. the thread on the king pin bolt was threaded out so we put lock washers behind it to try and lock it up. The lower control arm is looser then ****. Someone talking about a rusted k-member? Man this is becoming a problem. all help is appreciated, Thank you

hmmm...well then the rest of the thread must be pulling away [stripped] if you can't tighten up the lower.

did you back out the ride height adjusters before and while removing and installing the lower arms?

#1 time for a new mechanic
#2 king pins? haven't been used since about the early '50's?

and how did you index the bars?

after years the bars take on a natural twist/bow and seem to better put in as they came out, I mark the receivers which way the t bars lines are pointing.

And that meant? I don't get that. Directed to who?

since the 50's?

this ain't a car but..look at a skateboard truck sometime and tell me what they call that stud that holds the base-[k frame] plate to the hanger-[control arm]=it's called a king pin, and his is stripped out.

He might tow it to my house this weekend so I can fix it.

Whats more important is helping him fix his car, not nit picking proper terms.

I see less 'help' happening when that kind stuff starts up...

I was trying to impart to him that his "mechanic" was not one. And those pics are scarey, and you can't see everything in pics.

And the pics are not a skate-board. Before you call some- one names; show me the term "king" in a factory manual. I don't appreciate that, at all.

I was trying to impart to him that his "mechanic" was not one. And those pics are scarey, and you can't see everything in pics.

And the pics are not a skate-board. Before you call some- one names; show me the term "king" in a factory manual. I don't appreciate that, at all.

????
1st -I didn't call you any name, but you can shove that factory manual where the sun don't shine, or maybe more beneficial to you would be to sell it on ebay, it's almost completely worthless when someone is an already qualified mechanic in the first place.

2nd- it's called a 'parts catalog' by any mopar employee.:read2:

3rd- I don't care what you appreciate.:thebirdm:

You offered only commentary in the post I quoted and came off side ways with the ''they haven't had king pins since the 50's''
who do you think you are schooling??????

not me

Hello everyone,

I am tryin to get it towed to wild and crazy guy, I seemed to misplace your number, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HELP!!!

MOPAR 4 LIFE

Hve you checked your motor mounts? If they're loose/worn out you'll hear a clunking noise when you take off in drive or reverse.

Motor Mounts have been replaced bout 4 months ago, when we dropped in a fresh rebuilt slanty 6 :)
Theres no more clunking noises now only problems are with the k member and the bolt on the lower control arm being looses not holdng torque and the alignment is all sloppy, hopefully I hear from wild crazy guy cause I lost his number after a long friday nite of brewskys. PABST BLUE RIBBON!
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

MOPAR PERFORMANCE !!

Still havent got someone to tow me up there, argh its in the trailer just need a tow up there, **** only time will tell, The dart is just sitting waiting to be on the road soon enough, dam I hope I find someone to tow me up there without flaking on me lol.

MOPAR 4 LIFE

The problem was fixed, incase anyone was wondering....

It turned out the k member was cracked & hogged out all the way around the lower control arm bolt hole, so I took apart the drivers side and welded it up for'em and put it back together.

piece of cake.

So, I got finally got the Dart Towed up, Wild and Crazy guy welded the k member really slowly to ensure it was welded properly and helped me out a big deal. The k member was all cracked , he took it apart welded it and bam she was ready to go, Im replacing some ball joints here, I went to the alignment shop and had the toe set, it was a fun drive home, she was happy to be back on the road, The smell the gasoline filled the evening nite, thank you, Much appreciated!

-75dodgedart

OK, So once again , I am back on here, I appreciate everyone input, OK ,So I got that k member taken care of, now I went to the alignment shop, they took care of the toe in on the drivers side, now both wheel are wearing out, I believe the ball joints r goin out? and there is some clunking :clock:goin on now, Steering is jumpin on the wheel a great deal and screetching sound comin from both wheels now, driving very slow, and taking it ez on turnz, bout to park her up, any ideas, Thank you y'all!

*Replaced bushings upper and lower, welded k member,

-
Back