cluster gauges not working.

-

lgarbz

Reaction score
Hey so I feel like a dick asking a question about a ford on here but the ford forum didn't help me.. I have and 85 ranger 2.3l. The left cluster went out (temp. Fuel. Amm. Oil pressure gauges) I was wondering if anyone knows if there was a fuse or fusible link that controls the the whole cluster that could of blown? Or any ideas of what else it could be?

Thanks guys.

I owned an 87, still own an 86, so I have some manuals. But......they aren't much help

1 Be SURE the ammeter is NOT working because it is completely separate from the fue/ temp/ oil

Test again carefully, using headlights, and watch for any movement. These ammeters are known for being "numb" IE not moving very much. Take your voltmeter when running and check the battery voltage. It may not be charging. Should be close to 14v, or if the battery is going down from not charging, should show at least 13

2 My Haynes, Chilton manuals were no help. I have a Ferd "shop" manual, but it's missing the main schematics. I did look at the simplified diagram for the fuel/ temp gauges, and they are the same

It shows comes off the IGN SWITCH - an IN HARNESS 8.5 ohm resistor -- to an IVR (just like your Mopar instrument voltage limiter -- to the gauge -- to the sender

There may be a fuse, not shown.

It APPEARS that the gauges MAY get power off a separate terminal on the IGN switch, so it might be you have switch problems.

What you really need is a complete wiring diagram. I don't have anything that shows what color or terminal out of the IGN switch supplies the gauges.

I think I'd pull the cluster out and check the IVR

IF the ammete truely is not functioning, it might be a separate issue, or it might be bad connections in the ignition switch or other "common point" that supplies both the regulator/ field, and the gauges.

The ammeter is functioning properly. The schematic I saw said the oil, fuel, and temp gauges DO opperate sepparately from the ammeter, and are connected to the IVR. I pulled the cluster today, and tested a lot of stuff with my ohm meter including the IVR. it seems as tho it is not working properly, and is probably my problem. The gauges do move up a little in the run position, but do not read properly. I was thinking about getting some aftermarket gagues for the 3 that are not working.

The ammeter is functioning properly. The schematic I saw said the oil, fuel, and temp gauges DO opperate sepparately from the ammeter, and are connected to the IVR. I pulled the cluster today, and tested a lot of stuff with my ohm meter including the IVR. it seems as tho it is not working properly, and is probably my problem. The gauges do move up a little in the run position, but do not read properly. I was thinking about getting some aftermarket gagues for the 3 that are not working.

In your first post you said the ammeter was NOT working. I DID TELL YOU that the ammeter is separate,

This cluster is very similar to Mopar. I'm sure the only sure way to test the IVR is "in operation, and just like Mopar, a "quick check" on the gauges is to ground the sender line, which should result in full scale reading.

Sounds to me like the IVR or a bad connection in that part of the circuit is a good bet.

Only reason I"m still driving my old 86 is that I bought a 98 and the *&$#@#@## cam position sensor (used to be the distributor) went bye-bye and I haven't got it fixed yet.

Took this photo testing out an old manual focus Tamron lens, an Adapt-a-Matic 21mm

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/PFJ-45Au.html

2080712551_57a94104e2_z.jpg

Using it (puny 2.9 V6) to pull my little Cletrac. My unca Bill, recently died

14d1p9j.jpg

-
Back