Clutch and flywheel diameter (I know, I know, sorry)

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
Putting a 440 in my '69 Dart with a Lakewood scatter shield and A833, Dana 60 out back.
It will have less than 600hp to the wheels, probably about 600 torque, trying to decide on the proper flywheel and clutch size. Does the Lakewood change anything for ring gear size?

Depends on which Lakewood bell you have. Several versions exist. You have the part number?

My first guess is that it takes a 130 tooth flywheel.

383 takes the same flywheel as a 318.

Depends on which Lakewood bell you have. Several versions exist. You have the part number?
Part # 15335

20211027_171903a.jpg

Your LW should handle the 130 tooth for 10-1/2" or 10.95" clutch sets or a 143 -11".

The Lakewood instructions say that some minor grinding on the inside of the scattershield may be needed with a 143 tooth flywheel ("clearances get very close"). I have a 130 tooth (10.5") on mine and there was no problem with clearances.
BTW, make sure to dial in the housing and use offset dowel pins as needed. Mine (and others) have been off a surprisingly large amount.

The Lakewood instructions say that some minor grinding on the inside of the scattershield may be needed with a 143 tooth flywheel ("clearances get very close"). I have a 130 tooth (10.5") on mine and there was no problem with clearances.
BTW, make sure to dial in the housing and use offset dowel pins as needed. Mine (and others) have been off a surprisingly large amount.

Will do, planned on fitting it before engine install.

Don't apologize. Clutches and flywheels are kind of confusing in Mopar world. There was an explanation of scalloped Clutches in the latest Mopar Action rag.

Yep, there's a "pecker" bracket... but I don't think that piece is available any more. Not that hard to make, though.

-
Back