Clutch chatters

-

scottymizt

Reaction score
hey guys i have exhausted my brain thinking what might be causing this issue. The clutch chatters bad on take off, the flywheel was resurfaced,new clutch,new rear springs, drive shaft seems ok, rear end has a little play,don't know what else it could be? You guys have any ideas? The clutch is a stock replacement, i have had problems with the clutch chattering in my datsun but i know what it is. the clutch in my datsun is a racing clutch and i was told it might chatter and it does(which doesn't bug me i drag it alot). Think maybe the rear is twisting too much?

just thinking about it i probably should have put this in the 4sp section so i apologize, not sure if it's a 4sp issue or drivetrain

clutch chatter can be caused by bad or weak mounts too. Has this done it since new? It is possible that you have a bad pressure plate with a weak spring or a poorly ground plate.We have a saying around here..."Just because it's new doesn't mean its good" . We see more and more reman items that are junk right out of the box. Also the disc it self could be warped ...put it on your input shast and spin and watch to see how warped it is

yep since new i figured it was because the rear springs were bad and flexed alot. Thanks for the info

Cheap replacement clutch discs are the usual culprit for clutch chatter. buy a premium clutch disc.

I had a clutch that chattered real bad and it turned out that the cushening springs in the disk were bad.

It was a good clutch, i got the premium one because i didn't want junk in my cuda, I'll have to see what i can do to get another one. thanks guys

My clutch chatter was due to a warped disc as well.

The alleged "new" clutch I took out of my Duster a couple months ago was not worn out at all, but so weak it could not hold the torque from my near-stock 340. Made in Korea - JUNK.

Ace said:
The alleged "new" clutch I took out of my Duster a couple months ago was not worn out at all, but so weak it could not hold the torque from my near-stock 340. Made in Korea - JUNK.
What brand clutch do you have? I've been using a made-in-Korea unit for my 360 with no problems.

I have a South Bend now like it says in my sig. But the Korean-made one it replaced could not hold once I got traction. The difference in pedal pressure, which translates to clamping power or spring strength, is considerable.

Mine has great pedal pressure, i got mine from my buddies dad's store(owns a carquest) he is a firm believer of quality parts and not the price. If i wanted a cheap one i would have got one from advanced auto or auto zone. Those places have junk for parts it seems, some of their parts are ok but the ones i bought end up braking shortly after they are installed. Ya some are warrantied but it just sucks having to take the parts off and then putting them back one again.

-
Back