clutch fan gap too short

-
Hey gang.

The Volvo clutch and fan fit great. In order to install the fan clutch I had to cut 4x 1" lengths of 5/16" threaded rod. I used some Loctite to hold them threaded in to the circular fan mount on the snout of the water pump. That left the studs pointing forward about 3/4" each. Then on goes the pulley, and then the fan clutch, then the bushing, and finally the fan. This took some finesse to start the nuts onto the threads - like I was able to get each nut started about one thread and then move to the next nut. Once started it was easy to tighten them down a little a time. Not hard but certainly fiddly. Then the fan mounts to the clutch with 4x M6 bolts - I used socket head cap screws about 25mm in length.

It fits great! I have about 3/4" of space between the fan and the radiator.

I'm calling it a victory so far because I can't tell you how well it cools. I'm in the middle of an exhaust system rebuild so that needs to finish. Maybe in the next week I'll know. The fan is plastic with a steel inner ring and the overall diameter is an inch shorter than my previous fan. But it looks completely natural for it to be mounted in there. I'll haunt some wrecking yards and see I can find the actual Volvo fan instead of an aftermarket one.

Optional bonus: most Volvos in the 80s and 90s had a shroud. My next project is to find one and fab one into place.

The parts I used were:
Hayden fan clutch #2558 that fits most Volvos from 1969-1990:
More Information for HAYDEN 2558

Volvo radiator fan from a 1990 Volvo 240 turbo, Rockauto part: Aisin #1317465
More Information for AISIN FNV001

As I said, I'll report back with cooling info once I get the Barracuda back together. Hopefully this will be of use to others who have the same tight setup I have.

-
Back