Clutch fan radiator clearance worries

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
Car was running warm last summer so I bought a new thermal clutch and fan. Went to put it on yesterday and only had 1/4" clearance between front of clutch and radiator. Is it supposed to be this close? Is this too close or does it need to be that close, or did I get the wrong clutch? It's a hayden 2474, in a 68' sport sat with a 440. Thanks

Car was running warm last summer so I bought a new thermal clutch and fan. Went to put it on yesterday and only had 1/4" clearance between front of clutch and radiator. Is it supposed to be this close? Is this too close or does it need to be that close, or did I get the wrong clutch? It's a hayden 2474, in a 68' sport sat with a 440. Thanks

That sounds too close to me, I am sure being that close the fan could flex or the engine move a little and wipe out your radiator. How close was your old one?

Didn't have a clutch on it before, the fan bolts to the back of clutch. It would be the front edge of clutch that would hit.

Sounds to close for comfort. I put the MP fan and clutch set up on my 69 360 Dart. It seemed to close to me at about 1" but I haven't had a problem

with a small block and aftermarket radiator, my mp clutch fan is 3/8 from the radiator. i use schumacher poly lock engine mounts.

Hayden 2765. Do a search here on A bodies only. 33 bucks thru rockauto.

Hayden 2765. Do a search here on A bodies only. 33 bucks thru rockauto.
Funny you mention that one, I was just looking at it. Not sure how much shorter it is, maybe if I call summit I could get a measurement. aaah 2 3/4" awesome! THANKS Dubob!!! :)

Hayden # 2765 fan clutch ( Jaguar, XJ6, XJS clutch )

I think those fans operate at about 80% crank speed.
...You may run warm at stop lights or low speed when
there is little air flow.

-
Back