Clutch fan

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Switched out my flex fan for a clutch fan this last week. I've had it out a few times and it seems to be running a tad warmer. Got back tonight after about 30 minute drive, after shutting car off (very important :( I grabbed fan and moved it back and forth. I thought once clutch got hot that it wouldn't have any (hardly any) movement. It might be fine, I'm just unfamiliar with clutch fans.

New clutch fan, old one? Thermostatic? Non-thermostatic? Throw us a bone here.

Always busting my chops Rusty :) brand new Hayden heavy duty thermal fan clutch, P/N 2947. Always in search of better mpg (and power) thought I might give this a try.

Always busting my chops Rusty :) brand new Hayden heavy duty thermal fan clutch, P/N 2947. Always in search of better mpg (and power) thought I might give this a try.
How long had you driven it? It has to get HOT before it makes a difference in how solid that fan is. If you think it's defective, take a heat gun and heat up the bi-metal spring and see if the fan gets tougher to turn. One last thing I don't really recommend, but you CAN take the spring and wind it around one full turn tight and reinstall it. Being new, that would probably just about lock that fan down. I've done it on a few that had wear and it helped, but I wouldn't do it on a new one.

Running a Hayden fan, not oem with a full shroud. Rusty, I might be jumping the gun here, I probably haven't run it enough. I have a temp gun, next time out I check temp when home and test again. Thanks everyone

mechanism is not solely based on temp. System assumes that after a certain speed the fan is not needed since sufficient air is flowing through the radiator. Air passing over the fan blades will eventually spin the fan without using engine power to turn it. it is a viscous clutch.

I stated this before , I tested a bunch of fans two summers ago , and run a clutch type on my 505 now , good in 100* okla heat , a full mech fan is about 8* better than a clutch fan on my car.
I run a 17' clutch fan , and a 14'' elec pusher in the front , kicks on at 200 off at 205. Have an 18'' clutch type 7 blade to put on if needed , but doesn`t seem to .

-
Back