clutch flight

-

dartman340ta

Reaction score
i ran acrossed one of these no torque converter clutch an auto trans behind last one i seen was back in the 70's (need info on them ) it is a mopar 727 trans

i ran acrossed one of these no torque converter clutch an auto trans behind last one i seen was back in the 70's (need info on them ) it is a mopar 727 trans

I know what you are talking about but can't remember where I saw it.... I think it was in a old Mopar Muscle mag.

gramps had 1 in his 55 new yorker.
it was kind of strange driving it.

u can put a clutch on a 727?

Here is tid bit.

The Clutch-flite (Chrysler) and Turbo-flite (GM) conversions done by B&M, Fairbanks,Hydro-Motive and C&O helped smaller cu in drag cars to launch like a stick and avoid a bog of the line. Hi stall converters were the next step and doomed the xx-flites. Way back my friend and his partners had an Anglia with a small hilborn injected Hemi. It was uncontrollable with a stick trany ( given the name "The HOP Toad") they tried a torqueFlite and had a serious bog off the line. They went to a B&M Clutch-Flite trans and had did fairly good after that in the SoCal Valley area.

Some Clutch-Flites used the stock bellhousing and just modified it, others removed the bellhousing, used a thick front block off plate/pump mount and bolted a scattershield to it.

im seriously considering this!!! is it possible in a 1970 dart with a 440?

it seems like the only cons about them are hard shifting, i run a reverse patter V/B in my 727 so i think im pretty good with hard shifts but when your shifting a clutch flight, can't you press the clutch to lightinen the shift?

Dick Harrell ran something similar in the 60s/70s. I vaguely recall seeing ads for kits in magazines calling it "Dick Harrell's Hidden Quick" or something of the sort. Whether it was in a tweaked Vega or a ZL-1 Camaro is more than a little fuzzy, but it seemed like a pretty cool idea regardless.

A Clutch-Flite is a standard 727 that you added an adapter pump drive kit and replaced the converter with a clutch. They still shifted normally, you did not push the clutch to shift.

The biggest reason you do not see them anymore is that they really didn't work too well to start with. When you dumped the clutch at however many RPM it was just like flooring it in neutral and dropping it in gear because the pump did not turn unless the clutch disc was turning.

They also had the annoying little habit of exploding the front drum and maiming people.

A good converter is much better and safer.

-
Back