Clutch Pedal Issue

-

PredaFran

Reaction score
I've had my Duster for some time now and I was wondering if this behavior of the clutch pedal is normal:

at the beginning it is very hard, then it eases up very suddenly, and then it is very easy to move, but on the return, the pedal hardens up instantly and violently which can precise clutch control very difficult. Especially when parking the car with the manual steering. I just want to know if this is something I should be worried about or something is not working normally. Any ideas, feedback or help as long as they don't criticize my sock choice.
Thanks to everyone in advance for the help.

Thats normal with a borg and beck style clutch that requires the over center spring on the pedal im pretty sure, i went with a hydraulic conversion and a diaphram style clutch so i never actually used one. But before i took the spring off off my pedal it felt that same way.

Thats normal with a borg and beck style clutch that requires the over center spring on the pedal im pretty sure, i went with a hydraulic conversion and a diaphram style clutch so i never actually used one. But before i took the spring off off my pedal it felt that same way.
Isn't the over-center spring used to help keep the force curve on the pedal more linear? or is it just me confusing things.

I am running a Borg-Beck three finger clutch and have an over center spring. My clutch pedal has a smooth pedal travel.
Looing at yours it looks like it is binding up at the top. Is the linkage and clips in line? check the throw out bearing clearance or if damaged. And the Z bar pivots to see if they are secure and have not moved.
Good Luck

That kind of looks, to me at least, like you have a modern diaphragm style clutch (which requires little effort to actuate and you must remove the pedal over center spring) with the clutch pedal over center spring still installed. The spring pulls the pedal to the floor once you move the pedal about 1/3 of the way down and is designed to help you with the forces required to overcome an old borg and beck style clutch.

That kind of looks, to me at least, like you have a modern diaphragm style clutch (which requires little effort to actuate and you must remove the pedal over center spring) with the clutch pedal over center spring still installed. The spring pulls the pedal to the floor once you move the pedal about 1/3 of the way down and is designed to help you with the forces required to overcome an old borg and beck style clutch.
I don't know exactly what clutch the car has sadly, is there anything I can do to check besides dropping the transmission? Thanks for the help.

Pull the lower inspection cover and look at the throw out bearing. If you see three fingers from the clutch contacting it, it is borg an beck. If you see a series of thin fingers (like 20) it is a diaphragm style.

Borg and beck.

Screenshot_20181004-064607_Chrome.jpg

I am running a Borg-Beck three finger clutch and have an over center spring. My clutch pedal has a smooth pedal travel.
Looing at yours it looks like it is binding up at the top. Is the linkage and clips in line? check the throw out bearing clearance or if damaged. And the Z bar pivots to see if they are secure and have not moved.
Good Luck
I will be getting my FSM and going over everything to make sure everything is working as intended, Thanks a for the idea!
I will be checking the clutch as soon as I get home and updated you on what's going. Thank you very much for your time and help.

The only infotmation the previous owner gave me was that the clutch is part number 05-029. Looks like it is a Luk Unit and it seems like it is a diaphragm clutch. Do I just need to remove the over center spring or is there any other modifications I need to do.

You may want to fit a lighter..... much lighter spring to the clutch pedal to completely unload the throw out bearing when the clutch is engaged. I have used the jack hold down spring from the trunk before with good results.

I removed the spring and now my clutch is much easier to use. Thank you, Dave and Steven. Appreciate the help a lot. I'll start looking into getting a much lighter spring.

-
Back