Clutch pedal.....

-

CO/6

Reaction score
My son's '74 Duster has the 3 spd manual on the floor. We have a fairly new 318 in it, we cut the fly wheel already, new trw clutch kit, throw out bearing, etc.....we had the Z-bar rebuilt and thought everything was cool. The clutch works, transmission shifts fine but the clutch pedal only comes back up about 3/4's of the way. If you toe it up it snaps back to full height a little hard. Any ideas?

I went thru the same thing last summer bugged the hell out me coundn't figure out what to do? I built a new Zbar with 3/8 longer throw didn't work helped a bit. But if yours is the same as mine if you adjust it far enough so it does pop back up it will rub the fork on the pressure plate when you depress the clutch? If this is correct What I did was glue with contact cement two spoonge hockey pucks to the floor under the clutch pedal now can adjust it just enough so it returns. Sounds tacky but it worked and you cant even see they are there. I really don't understand why this happened. All I did was change engines 318-340 then this was the case?? D

There is a spring, could it just be worn? I'm not passing over the hockey pucks as an idea yet...

Try ajusting the clutch so there is about an inch of free play at the pedal. Check to make sure the Z bar mont is not pulling away from the inner fender too.

Burnt Orange Is correct I had that problem when I got my car In 1989, but it was broke on the fender side so wouldnt work correctly. Im guessing this is not your problem cause you said you overhauled everything. The worn out spring could be a factor but in my case it wasn't. I switched out engines and bang clutch pedal was different with the same Pressure plate and a new disk? So pulled It apart put a new MOPAR Plate/disk same thing. Drive around the pedal would stay half way down. So would adjust it so would come up then If you depressed it too far would hear it clicking on the pressure plate. Took me awhile to figure out what that noise was. My buddie suggested the Hockey pucks seems to work well, noticed one came loose the other day just need to glue it back. Hope this helps Its what I experienced anyway D

-
Back