not a linkage problem. Using the clutch adjusting
rod, if I lengthen it to the point that I get proper
disengagement the TO bearing is into the pressure
plate fingers when the clutch is out. If I shorten
the rod I have the problem of not enough
disengagement, cant shift well and load on the engine
with clutch in.

I have a Ram clutch (3 finger design) that is about
10/1000 years/miles old (yes 1000 miles in 10 years.
My guess is a bad pressure plate. Any ideas?

No it has been in the car for years. Im going to pull it and fix it but its just too cold, even in the shop this time of year.

a problem with clutches that sit for long periods of time (I've had this happen to me too) is the facings on the disc can get stuck to the flywheel and /or the pressue plate and when you do get them broken loose sometimes a piece of the disc material gets torn and stuck between the disc and the pressure plate/or flywheel causing the exact problems you describe. I also see this on lots of cars brought into my shop that have sat for years at a time. Chances are you only need a disc as the presure plate is fine

Thanks. I bet thats it. Whats a good street strip clutch these days. In track trim back in the day the car ran a best of 11.78 in the 1/4. Now I just drive it on the street, for the most part, on E70-14 Red Lines with full wheel covers.

I have had some luck fixing the problem by slipping the clutch , if the problem is rust it can usually be burned off , besides it is easier and cheaper than just pulling it apart. just dont go nuts and fry the pressure plate, the material is usually stuck to the flywheel and / or the pressure plate . I have had one in the past that was froze up so bad i could not get it into gear with the motor running, so i started it in gear and held the clutch in , drove less than a block and it broke loose and was fine after that.

-
Back