Clutch safety switch wire install

-

RyanAero

Reaction score
in the process of hooking up my neutral safety switch on my four speed conversion. Does anyone have a picture of the OEM location where the neutral safety switch wire passes through the firewall in it's grommet? I don't see any holes present. I'm assuming I would need to drill one, as my car was originally an automatic.

Thanks in advance

IMG_2051.JPG

Am I missing something? I do not believe Mopar 4 speeds have/need a neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch is what keeps an automatic from starting in gear. I can't think of a need for a neutral safety switch. Newer cars have a switch attached to the clutch pedal that force you to depress the clutch pedal to start the car. That is, in a way, a neutral safety switch, but they weren't on the old Mopars. If you are using the inner fender well mounted starter relay that was made for an automatic, it will have a pin for the wire that went to the neutral safety switch. All you have to do is attach a short piece of wire to that pin and ground it to the screw that attaches the starter relay to the inner fender. That will allow the relay to work with your 4 speed. Or, you could just buy a 4 speed Starter relay. They do not need to be externally grounded.

I thought they started the NSS in 1970? The 69' and down cars don't have one.

Am I missing something? I do not believe Mopar 4 speeds have/need a neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch is what keeps an automatic from starting in gear. I can't think of a need for a neutral safety switch. Newer cars have a switch attached to the clutch pedal that force you to depress the clutch pedal to start the car. That is, in a way, a neutral safety switch, but they weren't on the old Mopars. If you are using the inner fender well mounted starter relay that was made for an automatic, it will have a pin for the wire that went to the neutral safety switch. All you have to do is attach a short piece of wire to that pin and ground it to the screw that attaches the starter relay to the inner fender. That will allow the relay to work with your 4 speed. Or, you could just buy a 4 speed Starter relay. They do not need to be externally grounded.
Yes you are correct. I am installing a clutch interupt switch. Wondering where it passes through the firewall

The 1970 A-body clutch start switch cable grommet is near the emergency brake cable, the hole for it is 1/2";

1970 A-body clutch start switch firewall grommet hole small w.jpg

-
Back