Clutch type questions

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
I grenaded the clutch in the duster. Uses a 360 dodge pressure plate, jeep throwout bearing, and mustang disc.(roll your own tko500 swap)

The setup WAS a spec stage 3. Its now confetti. $475 worth of confetti. Thank god for a blowproof bellhousing.

Anyway, car is parked while i save some money.

The car weighs around 4k (guessing by pushing), is on 200tw tires, makes right at 400/400 to the wheels.

It is used for cuising, stress release, hooning on occasion, traveling. No drags or autocross anymore as collector car insurance won't let me.

My fever inspired ide: buy a $50 dodge clutch kit on ebay. Buy a $50 mustang kit.

Mix, match, and roll.

Why is this a horrible idea? Other than its a MOTHER to pull the drivetrain from this car. It takes a year hiatus (estimates) and makes it a month or two.

Im wondering if a performance (expensive) clutch is even necessary in my application anymore. I dont know why this one failed, but it didi so at 6500 rpm in first while tuning acceleration enrichment in megasquirt.

Yes, putting in that bellhousing paid off, big time. No matter how bad the carnage is, it could have been much worse without it. Did the flywheel come apart, or was it the pressure plate etc?

Near as i can tell (haven't torn down yet) pressure plate went. Flywheel sounds bent as well, judging by the noise the starter makes. When you fire up the engine, its got some nasty vibrations, probably from large parts of rotating mass no longer being where i put them.

Tgis Lakewood may be a pita to work around, but im glad i put it in back when this was a drag car.

Here's to hoping. That's gonna be EXPENSIVE if it warped.
But then i could just put a 4 inch crank in it.....

Anyway, other than warped/bent crank/flywheel, what else should I check for damage?
And the original question: at what point do i need to have a performance expensive clutch?

I would check the bellhousing, not sure how hard a hit it took.

I kinda' think like cast cracks and steel bends so just check it all. Some just visually. Trans input shaft might need some closer attention, release bearing, bearing retainer and tube, fork, pivot, possible cracks in block and trans. Brian and YR have good points with the bell.
You don't want to be chasing down issues after it's reassembled when they may just be easy checks while apart.

-
Back